ERS Statement: A core outcome set for clinical trials evaluating the management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) exacerbations
AuthorsMathioudakis, A. G.
Criner, G. J.
Fernandez Romero, G.
Huerta Garcia, A.
Leuppi, J. D.
McDonald, V. M.
Williamson, P. R.
Jensen, J. U.
AffiliationDivision of Infection, Immunity and Respiratory Medicine, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractClinical trials evaluating the management of acute exacerbations of COPD assess heterogeneous outcomes, often omitting those that are clinically relevant or more important to patients. We have developed a core outcome set, a consensus-based minimum set of important outcomes that we recommend are evaluated in all future clinical trials on exacerbations management, to improve their quality and comparability. COPD exacerbations outcomes were identified through methodological systematic reviews and qualitative interviews with 86 patients from 11 countries globally. The most critical outcomes were prioritized for inclusion in the core outcome set through a two-round Delphi survey that was completed by 1,063 participants (256 patients, 488 health professionals and 319 clinical academics) from 88 countries in 5 continents. Two global, multi-stakeholder, virtual consensus meetings were conducted to (i) finalize the core outcome set and (ii) prioritize a single measurement instrument to be used for evaluating each of the prioritized outcomes. Consensus was informed by rigorous methodological systematic reviews. The views of patients with COPD were accounted for in all stages of the project. Survival, treatment success, breathlessness, quality of life, activities of daily living, need for higher level of care, arterial blood gases, disease progression, future exacerbations and hospital admissions, treatment safety and adherence were all included in the core outcome set. Focused methodological research was recommended to further validate and optimize some of the selected measurement instruments. The panel did not consider the prioritized set of outcomes and associated measurement instruments burdensome for patients and health professionals to use.
CitationMathioudakis AG, Abroug F, Agusti A, Ananth S, Bakke P, Bartziokas K, et al. ERS Statement: A core outcome set for clinical trials evaluating the management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) exacerbations. European Respiratory Journal. European Respiratory Society (ERS); 2021. p. 2102006.
JournalEuropean Respiratory Journal
- Core outcome set for the management of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the COS-AECOPD ERS Task Force study protocol.
- Authors: Mathioudakis AG, Abroug F, Agusti A, Bakke P, Bartziokas K, Beghe B, Bikov A, Bradbury T, Brusselle G, Cadus C, Coleman C, Contoli M, Corlateanu A, Corlateanu O, Criner G, Csoma B, Emelyanov A, Faner R, Romero GF, Hammouda Z, Horváth P, Huerta AG, Jacobs M, Jenkins C, Joos G, Kharevich O, Kostikas K, Lapteva E, Lazar Z, Leuppi JD, Liddle C, López-Giraldo A, McDonald VM, Nielsen R, Papi A, Saraiva I, Sergeeva G, Sioutkou A, Sivapalan P, Stovold E, Wang H, Wen F, Yorke J, Williamson PR, Vestbo J, Jensen JU
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Self-management interventions for adults living with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): The development of a Core Outcome Set for COMPAR-EU project.
- Authors: Camus-García E, González-González AI, Heijmans M, Niño de Guzmán E, Valli C, Beltran J, Pardo-Hernández H, Ninov L, Strammiello V, Immonen K, Mavridis D, Ballester M, Suñol R, Orrego C
- Issue date: 2021
- Tailored or adapted interventions for adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and at least one other long-term condition: a mixed methods review.
- Authors: Dennett EJ, Janjua S, Stovold E, Harrison SL, McDonnell MJ, Holland AE
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 26
- International core outcome set for clinical trials of medication review in multi-morbid older patients with polypharmacy.
- Authors: Beuscart JB, Knol W, Cullinan S, Schneider C, Dalleur O, Boland B, Thevelin S, Jansen PAF, O'Mahony D, Rodondi N, Spinewine A
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 13
- Standardising the reporting of outcomes in gastric cancer surgery trials: protocol for the development of a core outcome set and accompanying outcome measurement instrument set (the GASTROS study).
- Authors: Alkhaffaf B, Glenny AM, Blazeby JM, Williamson P, Bruce IA
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 9