An assessment of the reliability and reproducibility of measurement of potential doubling times (Tpot) in human colorectal cancers.
AuthorsWilson, Malcolm S
West, Catharine M L
Wilson, George D
Roberts, Stephen A
James, Roger D
Schofield, Philip F
AffiliationClinical Research Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn assessment has been made of the reproducibility of measuring tumour proliferation using in vivo iododeoxyuridine (IUdR) labelling and flow cytometry. The variation that occurs between different institutions (Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester and the Gray Laboratory, Northwood), different observers and different runs on the same flow cytometer have been measured on 139 samples from 53 patients with colorectal cancer. The results demonstrate that the IUdR technique for measuring tumour proliferation is reproducible. Correlations were seen between measurements of Tpot obtained by different individuals and on separate machines. However, direct comparisons of the measured parameters showed that there were highly significant differences in the values obtained between institutes and observers (P < 0.001). Despite these variations, there were still significant detectable differences in Tpot measurements between individual tumours (P < 0.001). Analysis of the results obtained by running the same samples on two separate occasions on the same machine showed that the technique was highly reproducible and that the staining procedure was stable. Eighty per cent of the samples were similarly assigned to either above or below the median Tpot value, regardless which observer/laboratory combination was utilised. These data suggest that large clinical trials using Tpot should employ a single centre and a single individual to prepare, run and analyse samples.
CitationAn assessment of the reliability and reproducibility of measurement of potential doubling times (Tpot) in human colorectal cancers. 1993, 67 (4):754-9 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Intra-tumoral heterogeneity of tumour potential doubling times (Tpot) in colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Wilson MS, West CM, Wilson GD, Roberts SA, James RD, Schofield PF
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- Relationship between potential doubling time (Tpot), labeling index and duration of DNA synthesis in 60 esophageal and 35 breast tumors: Is it worthwhile to measure Tpot?
- Authors: Haustermans K, Fowler J, Geboes K, Christiaens MR, Lerut A, van der Schueren E
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Cell proliferation kinetics in human tumor xenografts measured with iododeoxyuridine labeling and flow cytometry: a study of heterogeneity and a comparison between different methods of calculation and other proliferation measurements.
- Authors: Perez LA, Dombkowski D, Efird J, Preffer F, Suit HD
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 15
- Tumour cell repopulation during fractionated radiotherapy: correlation between flow cytometric and radiobiological data in three murine tumours.
- Authors: Begg AC, Hofland I, Kummermehr J
- Issue date: 1991
- Influence of sampling time on assessment of potential doubling time.
- Authors: Høyer M, Bentzen SM, Salling LN, Overgaard J
- Issue date: 1994 Jun 1