Intra-tumoral heterogeneity of tumour potential doubling times (Tpot) in colorectal cancer.
AuthorsWilson, Malcolm S
West, Catharine M L
Wilson, G D
Roberts, Stephen A
James, Roger D
Schofield, Philip F
AffiliationClinical Research Department, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntra-tumoural heterogeneity of proliferation has been assessed by taking multiple biopsies from 30 colorectal cancers. Following in vivo IUDR labelling, dual parameter flow cytometry was used to measure tumour DNA index (DI) and labelling index (LI) and to derive DNA synthesis time (Ts) and potential doubling time (Tpot). Heterogeneity was seen for all parameters under investigation. Overall coefficients of variation (CV) and logarithmic transformation of Ts and Tpot (due to their non-gaussian distributions) indicate that LI (CV 25%) was the most variable parameter. Intra-tumoral heterogeneity in Tpot (lnTpot CV = 22%) was less than inter-individual variation (CV = 63%), suggesting that this variation should not be a limitation to the possible usefulness of this technique as an independent prognostic indicator. Correlations of Tpot values were examined between the shortest, the median and the value for a pooled homogenate sample from a single tumour. Using an homogenate, it was possible to accurately predict classification of tumour Tpot values as being below the median ('fast tumours') in 15 of 19 cases (79%). The data suggest that assaying an homogenate may allow a more rapid analysis of a multiply sampled tumour.
CitationIntra-tumoral heterogeneity of tumour potential doubling times (Tpot) in colorectal cancer. 1993, 68 (3):501-6 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Relationship between potential doubling time (Tpot), labeling index and duration of DNA synthesis in 60 esophageal and 35 breast tumors: Is it worthwhile to measure Tpot?
- Authors: Haustermans K, Fowler J, Geboes K, Christiaens MR, Lerut A, van der Schueren E
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- An assessment of the reliability and reproducibility of measurement of potential doubling times (Tpot) in human colorectal cancers.
- Authors: Wilson MS, West CM, Wilson GD, Roberts SA, James RD, Schofield PF
- Issue date: 1993 Apr
- Proliferation measurements with flow cytometry Tpot in cancer of the uterine cervix: correlation between two laboratories and preliminary clinical results.
- Authors: Tsang RW, Fyles AW, Kirkbride P, Levin W, Manchul LA, Milosevic MF, Rawlings GA, Banerjee D, Pintilie M, Wilson GD
- Issue date: 1995 Jul 30
- Human tumour cell kinetics using a monoclonal antibody against iododeoxyuridine: intratumour sampling variations.
- Authors: Begg AC, Moonen L, Hofland I, Dessing M, Bartelink H
- Issue date: 1988 Apr
- [In vivo evaluation of potential doubling time (Tpot) of tumors by flow cytometry: practical difficulties and possible solutions].
- Authors: Gorisse MC, Desoize B, Carpentier Y, Nguyen TD
- Issue date: 1996 Oct