A monoclonal antibody detects heterogeneity in vascular endothelium of tumours and normal tissues.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new murine monoclonal antibody (MAb), E-9, has been raised using tissue-cultured human umbilical vein endothelial cells. The antigen recognized by this MAb is a peptide of 170 kDa under non-reducing conditions and 96 kDa under reducing conditions. MAb E-9 showed marked heterogeneity in its distribution in various tissues. The antigen recognized by it was present in vascular endothelial cells of all tumours, foetal organs and in regenerating and inflamed tissues. It stained a few normal tissues. However, with the exception of tonsils, staining tended to be weak and limited to a few blood vessels, as revealed by double staining using pan-endothelial antibody (CD31) and antibody to von Willebrand factor, another marker of vascular endothelium. Surprisingly, blood vessels within the placental villi were completely negative. The function of the antigen recognized by MAb E-9 is not known, but its evaluation and use should increase our understanding of angiogenesis.
CitationA monoclonal antibody detects heterogeneity in vascular endothelium of tumours and normal tissues. 1993, 54 (3):363-70 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- 4A11, a monoclonal antibody recognizing a novel antigen expressed on aberrant vascular endothelium. Upregulation in an in vivo model of contact dermatitis.
- Authors: Koch AE, Nickoloff BJ, Holgersson J, Seed B, Haines GK, Burrows JC, Leibovich SJ
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Lack of specificity of endoglin expression for tumor blood vessels.
- Authors: Balza E, Castellani P, Zijlstra A, Neri D, Zardi L, Siri A
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- JC70: a new monoclonal antibody that detects vascular endothelium associated antigen on routinely processed tissue sections.
- Authors: Parums DV, Cordell JL, Micklem K, Heryet AR, Gatter KC, Mason DY
- Issue date: 1990 Sep
- Monoclonal antibody-defined human endothelial antigens as vascular markers.
- Authors: Ruiter DJ, Schlingemann RO, Rietveld FJ, de Waal RM
- Issue date: 1989 Aug
- A vascular endothelial cell antigen with restricted distribution in human foetal, adult and malignant tissues.
- Authors: Cui YC, Tai PC, Gatter KC, Mason DY, Spry CJ
- Issue date: 1983 May