Computer aided diagnosis of abdominal pain: implementation difficulties in the North Western Region.
AffiliationCentre for Cancer Epidemiology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring 1987 a system for the computer-aided diagnosis of abdominal pain was introduced on a trial basis in seven district health authorities in the North Western (NW) Region. Despite good reports of the system from other areas, by the end of a 12-month period only two of the seven districts continued to use it in the routine management of patients. A study was undertaken to determine the difficulties that had been encountered and the way in which these had hindered successful implementation of the system. Information was obtained by interview with key personnel involved in the trial, which included the chief executive in each district, a consultant designated as responsible for the system and clerical staff. The study identified three main factors undermining the implementation of the system: a lack of consultant support; the negative attitude of junior doctors; and inadequate clerical support.
CitationComputer aided diagnosis of abdominal pain: implementation difficulties in the North Western Region. 1993, 10 (4):314-20 Arch Emerg Med
JournalArchives of Emergency Medicine
- Can computer aided teaching packages improve clinical care in patients with acute abdominal pain?
- Authors: de Dombal FT, Dallos V, McAdam WA
- Issue date: 1991 Jun 22
- Computer-assisted diagnosis and abdominal pain.
- Authors: Maitra AK
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Twelve years' experience of computer-aided diagnosis in a district general hospital.
- Authors: McAdam WA, Brock BM, Armitage T, Davenport P, Chan M, de Dombal FT
- Issue date: 1990 Mar
- Implementing a resuscitation policy for patients at the end of life in an acute hospital setting: qualitative study.
- Authors: Robinson F, Cupples M, Corrigan M
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Computer aided diagnosis of acute abdominal pain: a multicentre study.
- Authors: Adams ID, Chan M, Clifford PC, Cooke WM, Dallos V, de Dombal FT, Edwards MH, Hancock DM, Hewett DJ, McIntyre N
- Issue date: 1986 Sep 27