A three-dimensional second-derivative surface-detection algorithm for volume determination on SPECT images.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMost existing techniques for determining volumes on single-photon-emission computed tomography (SPECT) data employ thresholding, two-dimensional edge detection, or manual delineation of edges. These methods, however, are limited in both accuracy and applicability. In seeking to overcome these limitations, a truly three-dimensional (3D) second-derivative-based algorithm which can be implemented with relative ease has been developed. The method incorporates 3D matrix operators; these are convoluted with the SPECT count data in order to produce a 3D voxel map whose data elements correspond to the second derivative of counts in the image. This map is then searched, a suitable derivative-based edge-defining criterion being applied to each voxel position, in order to locate the derivative surface boundary which defines the volume. Validation is obtained using phantom data from 99Tcm-filled bottles of volumes 200, 580 and 2500 cm3 placed within a body-sized tank containing background activities set to give a range of contrasts between 1.00 and 0.75 (i.e. background 0% to 25%). The performance of the algorithm is encouraging: the volumes of the two larger bottles are determined to within a 3% accuracy without the need for any prior calibration, and the results obtained over all bottle sizes are found to be contrast independent to within approximately 4%.
CitationA three-dimensional second-derivative surface-detection algorithm for volume determination on SPECT images. 1993, 38 (5):583-600 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- An innovative iterative thresholding algorithm for tumour segmentation and volumetric quantification on SPECT images: Monte Carlo-based methodology and validation.
- Authors: Pacilio M, Basile C, Shcherbinin S, Caselli F, Ventroni G, Aragno D, Mango L, Santini E
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Development and evaluation of convergent and accelerated penalized SPECT image reconstruction methods for improved dose-volume histogram estimation in radiopharmaceutical therapy.
- Authors: Cheng L, Hobbs RF, Sgouros G, Frey EC
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Performance of 3DOSEM and MAP algorithms for reconstructing low count SPECT acquisitions.
- Authors: Grootjans W, Meeuwis AP, Slump CH, de Geus-Oei LF, Gotthardt M, Visser EP
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Variability of left ventricular ejection fraction and volumes with quantitative gated SPECT: influence of algorithm, pixel size and reconstruction parameters in small and normal-sized hearts.
- Authors: Hambye AS, Vervaet A, Dobbeleir A
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- The effect of phantom wall thickness on volume determination in SPET.
- Authors: Hillel PG, Hastings DL
- Issue date: 1995 Dec