High technology to simplify the planning and delivery of radiotherapy.
AuthorsHounsell, Alan R
Marrs, Julie E
Moore, Christopher J
Sharrock, Phillip J
Shaw, A J
Wilkinson, James M
Williams, Peter C
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo techniques for the automatic selection of individual leaf positions of a Philips multi-leaf collimator are described. Target volumes are identified either on simulator images or on cross-sectional images from CT or MR scanners. The setting of each leaf is computed to position the beam edge to cover the target with an appropriate, user defined, margin. An important consideration in the development of the system was its robustness and so the applications initially implemented have been relatively simple, comprising single field, parallel opposed fields and coplanar 4 field box techniques. Attention has been paid to the overall integrity of the planning and treatment delivery process. Before treatment commences, the beam shapes, which have been generated by the computer and transferred to the MLC control computer over a local area network, are checked against a printed template representing each beam. All data used for planning is archived and is accessible for review or, if necessary, for treatment modification.
CitationHigh technology to simplify the planning and delivery of radiotherapy. 1993, 29 (2):192-6 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Three-dimensional dosimetric evaluation of a conventional radiotherapy technique for treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Chau RM, Teo PM, Choi PH, Cheung KY, Lee WY
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- Commissioning of a micro multi-leaf collimator and planning system for stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Authors: Cosgrove VP, Jahn U, Pfaender M, Bauer S, Budach V, Wurm RE
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Computer-assisted generation of multi-leaf collimator settings for conformation therapy.
- Authors: Hounsell AR, Sharrock PJ, Moore CJ, Shaw AJ, Wilkinson JM, Williams PC
- Issue date: 1992 Apr
- Automatic online adaptive radiation therapy techniques for targets with significant shape change: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Court LE, Tishler RB, Petit J, Cormack R, Chin L
- Issue date: 2006 May 21
- Comparison of a multi-leaf collimator with conformal blocks for the delivery of stereotactically guided conformal radiotherapy.
- Authors: Adams EJ, Cosgrove VP, Shepherd SF, Warrington AP, Bedford JL, Mubata CD, Bidmead AM, Brada M
- Issue date: 1999 Jun