High technology to simplify the planning and delivery of radiotherapy.
AuthorsHounsell, Alan R
Marrs, Julie E
Moore, Christopher J
Sharrock, Phillip J
Shaw, A J
Wilkinson, James M
Williams, Peter C
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo techniques for the automatic selection of individual leaf positions of a Philips multi-leaf collimator are described. Target volumes are identified either on simulator images or on cross-sectional images from CT or MR scanners. The setting of each leaf is computed to position the beam edge to cover the target with an appropriate, user defined, margin. An important consideration in the development of the system was its robustness and so the applications initially implemented have been relatively simple, comprising single field, parallel opposed fields and coplanar 4 field box techniques. Attention has been paid to the overall integrity of the planning and treatment delivery process. Before treatment commences, the beam shapes, which have been generated by the computer and transferred to the MLC control computer over a local area network, are checked against a printed template representing each beam. All data used for planning is archived and is accessible for review or, if necessary, for treatment modification.
CitationHigh technology to simplify the planning and delivery of radiotherapy. 1993, 29 (2):192-6 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Computer-assisted generation of multi-leaf collimator settings for conformation therapy.
- Authors: Hounsell AR, Sharrock PJ, Moore CJ, Shaw AJ, Wilkinson JM, Williams PC
- Issue date: 1992 Apr
- An automatic CT-guided adaptive radiation therapy technique by online modification of multileaf collimator leaf positions for prostate cancer.
- Authors: Court LE, Dong L, Lee AK, Cheung R, Bonnen MD, O'Daniel J, Wang H, Mohan R, Kuban D
- Issue date: 2005 May 1
- Portal imaging protocol for radical dose-escalated radiotherapy treatment of prostate cancer.
- Authors: Mubata CD, Bidmead AM, Ellingham LM, Thompson V, Dearnaley DP
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 1
- IMRT treatment planning on 4D geometries for the era of dynamic MLC tracking.
- Authors: Suh Y, Murray W, Keall PJ
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Performance of a multi leaf collimator system for MR-guided radiation therapy.
- Authors: Cai B, Li H, Yang D, Rodriguez V, Curcuru A, Wang Y, Wen J, Kashani R, Mutic S, Green O
- Issue date: 2017 Dec