Factors affecting the radiation dose to the lens of the eye during cardiac catheterization procedures.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConcern has been expressed about the relatively high radiation doses to the lens of the eye received by the operator during cardiac catheterization studies. A study was undertaken to assess the occupational doses received by cardiologists and to examine the factors that affect the individual's eye dose. Eighteen cardiologists working in five catheterization laboratories at three centres were included in the study. Their eye doses, workload and individual study details were monitored at each centre. Operating dose rates and scattered radiation were also measured for each unit to compare equipment performance. The study demonstrated that the relationships between the cardiologist's eye dose and factors such as the dose efficiency of the X-ray equipment, scattered dose rates, examination protocols and workload are complex and vary from centre to centre. Because of these variations general workload limits may be inaccurate and should only be used for general guidance when no direct measurements are available. Such limits should be verified by local measurements as soon as is practical.
CitationFactors affecting the radiation dose to the lens of the eye during cardiac catheterization procedures. 1993, 66 (784):346-50 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Realistic approach to estimate lens doses and cataract radiation risk in cardiology when personal dosimeters have not been regularly used.
- Authors: Vañó E, Fernández JM, Sánchez RM, Dauer LT
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Staff eye doses in a large medical centre in Saudi Arabia: are they meeting the new ICRP recommendations?
- Authors: Al-Haj AN, Lobriguito AM, Al-Gain I
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Estimation of eye lens doses received by pediatric interventional cardiologists.
- Authors: Alejo L, Koren C, Ferrer C, Corredoira E, Serrada A
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Eye lens radiation exposure to interventional cardiologists: a retrospective assessment of cumulative doses.
- Authors: Jacob S, Donadille L, Maccia C, Bar O, Boveda S, Laurier D, Bernier MO
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Evaluation of patient doses and lens radiation doses to interventional cardiologists in a nationwide survey in Chile.
- Authors: Ubeda C, Vano E, Gonzalez L, Miranda P, Valenzuela E, Vergara F, Guarda E
- Issue date: 2013 Nov