Measurement possibilities using an electronic portal imaging device.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA vital role in the quality control of radiotherapy is the use of portal imaging for verifying field size, shape, orientation and patient set-up. Coincidence of treated volume and target volume is imperative. Electronic portal imaging devices are effective at providing this verification. However, these devices are versatile enough to be used in other ways pertinent to the delivery of high quality, high precision radiotherapy. This paper examines two such ways: in assessing the reproducibility of a multileaf collimator system, and in determining exit doses in vivo. Configured as a dosimeter, the system shows a linear response with good dynamic range. Its high spatial resolution was used to show that leaf positioning was reproducible to within 0.5 mm for all tested gantry and collimator angles. Our preliminary results from this exit dosimetry technique demonstrate that, under specific conditions, doses can be determined to within 2.5% of that measured using silicon diodes or ion chambers.
CitationMeasurement possibilities using an electronic portal imaging device. 1993, 29 (2):237-43 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- The use of an electronic portal imaging device for exit dosimetry and quality control measurements.
- Authors: Kirby MC, Williams PC
- Issue date: 1995 Feb 1
- A method for geometrical verification of dynamic intensity modulated radiotherapy using a scanning electronic portal imaging device.
- Authors: Ploeger LS, Smitsmans MH, Gilhuijs KG, van Herk M
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- A literature review of electronic portal imaging for radiotherapy dosimetry.
- Authors: van Elmpt W, McDermott L, Nijsten S, Wendling M, Lambin P, Mijnheer B
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Leaf position verification during dynamic beam delivery: a comparison of three applications using electronic portal imaging.
- Authors: Partridge M, Evans PM, van Herk M, Ploeger LS, Budgell GJ, James HV
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Verification of dynamic multileaf collimation using an electronic portal imaging device.
- Authors: James HV, Atherton S, Budgell GJ, Kirby MC, Williams PC
- Issue date: 2000 Feb