Serum tumour markers in carcinoma of the uterine cervix and outcome following radiotherapy.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA study was made of the prognostic value of measurements of pretreatment serum marker levels in patients with carcinoma of the uterine cervix undergoing radiotherapy. The markers studied were carcinoma antigen 125 (CA125), squamous cell carcinoma antigen (SCC) and tissue polypeptide antigen (TPA). The levels of all three markers increased with disease stage. In a univariate analysis stratifying patients according to either median values or cut-off levels representing the top of the normal range, pretreatment levels predicted patient survival (follow-up times 1-4 years). In a multivariate analysis, disease stage was the most important prognostic variable and, after allowing for stage, only CA125 was a significant independent predictor of treatment outcome. These data suggest that, in carcinoma of the cervix treated with radiotherapy, pretreatment measurements of CA125, but not SCC and TPA, may have a role to play in defining prognosis.
CitationSerum tumour markers in carcinoma of the uterine cervix and outcome following radiotherapy. 1995, 72 (6):1536-40 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Preoperative serum SCC, CA125, and CA19-9 levels and lymph node status in squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix.
- Authors: Takeda M, Sakuragi N, Okamoto K, Todo Y, Minobe S, Nomura E, Negishi H, Oikawa M, Yamamoto R, Fujimoto S
- Issue date: 2002 May
- The prognostic significance of pre- and posttreatment SCC levels in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix treated by radiotherapy.
- Authors: Hong JH, Tsai CS, Chang JT, Wang CC, Lai CH, Lee SP, Tseng CJ, Chang TC, Tang SG
- Issue date: 1998 Jul 1
- Cyfra 21-1 in monitoring cervical cancer: a comparison with tissue polypeptide antigen and squamous cell carcinoma antigen.
- Authors: Bonfrer JM, Gaarenstroom KN, Korse CM, Van Bunningen BN, Kenemans P
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- Clinical value of pretreatment serum Cyfra 21-1, tissue polypeptide antigen, and squamous cell carcinoma antigen levels in patients with cervical cancer.
- Authors: Gaarenstroom KN, Bonfrer JM, Kenter GG, Korse CM, Hart AA, Trimbos JB, Helmerhorst TJ
- Issue date: 1995 Sep 1
- Can initial serum cyfra 21-1, SCC antigen, and TPA levels in squamous cell cervical cancer predict lymph node metastases or prognosis?
- Authors: Gaarenstroom KN, Kenter GG, Bonfrer JM, Korse CM, Van de Vijver MJ, Fleuren GJ, Trimbos JB
- Issue date: 2000 Apr