AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, CRC Department of Experimental Chemotherapy, Paterson Institute, CRC Department of Medical Statistics, Christie Hospital, CRC Department of Immunology, Paterson Institute, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract5T4 oncofetal antigen is defined by a monoclonal antibody raised against human placental trophoblast, and recognizes a 72 kD glycoprotein expressed in many different carcinomas but detected only at low levels in some normal epithelia. Analysis of the patterns of expression of 5T4 oncofetal antigen in colorectal carcinomas has indicated a significant association between the presence of the antigen in tumor cells and metastatic spread. The 5T4 antigen expression of 72 epithelial ovarian carcinomas has been investigated by immunohistochemistry; 71% of the carcinomas demonstrated positive 5T4 immunoreactivity in adenocarcinoma cells and/or associated stromal tissue. In order to assess any relationship to prognosis, the 5T4 phenotypes were analyzed with respect to various clinicopathologic features of the tumors and the clinical outcome of the patients assessed by survival and disease-free interval. There was a significant correlation between 5T4 expression and more advanced stage of disease (FIGO stages III and IV) (P < 0.001) and with poorly differentiated tumors (P = 0.036) compared to well or moderately differentiated tumors. Patients with tumors expressing 5T4 were less likely to respond well to adjuvant therapy (P = 0.030) and had a significantly worse outlook in terms of survival (P = 0.033) and disease-free interval (P = 0.033). This significance was not demonstrated as acting independently of FIGO stage and tumor differentiation.
Citation5T4 oncofetal antigen expression in ovarian carcinoma. 1995, 5 (4):269-274 Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Gynecological Cancer
- Prognostic significance of 5T4 oncofetal antigen expression in colorectal carcinoma.
- Authors: Starzynska T, Marsh PJ, Schofield PF, Roberts SA, Myers KA, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1994 May
- Oncofetal antigen 5T4 expression as a prognostic factor in patients with gastric cancer.
- Authors: Naganuma H, Kono K, Mori Y, Takayoshi S, Stern PL, Tasaka K, Matsumoto Y
- Issue date: 2002 Mar-Apr
- 5T4 oncofetal antigen in gastric carcinoma and its clinical significance.
- Authors: Starzynska T, Wiechowska-Kozlowska A, Marlicz K, Bromley M, Roberts SA, Lawniczak M, Kolodziej B, Zyluk A, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Metastasis-associated 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is concentrated at microvillus projections of the plasma membrane.
- Authors: Carsberg CJ, Myers KA, Evans GS, Allen TD, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Trophoblast Glycoprotein is Associated With a Favorable Outcome for Mesothelioma and a Target for Antibody Drug Conjugates.
- Authors: Schunselaar LM, Monkhorst K, van der Noort V, Wijdeven R, Peters D, Zwart W, Neefjes J, Baas P
- Issue date: 2018 Oct