Dacarbazine and interferon-alpha 2a in advanced malignant melanoma: high response rate and prolongation of response duration occur in different patient subpopulations.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFifty-three evaluable patients with metastatic malignant melanoma were enrolled in a phase II prospective study designed to assess the response rate, time to progression and survival after dacarbazine (DTIC) and interferon-alpha 2a (IFN-alpha 2a) treatment in patients with local metastatic disease compared with patients with distant metastases. Patients received intravenous DTIC from day 1 at a dosage of 400-500 mg/m2, repeated every 21 days (in the case of good tolerance--25 patients--the dose was increased to 600-800 mg/m2) combined with subcutaneous IFN-alpha 2a (9 x 10(6) U three times/week, increased in the case of good tolerance to 15 x 10(6) U three times/week). Forty-two patients with distant metastases were compared with 11 patients who had local metastatic disease. Three complete (6%) and six partial (11%) responses were seen, with an overall response rate of 17% (95% confidence interval 8-29). Patients with local metastases had a higher response rate (50%) compared with patients with distant metastases (visceral involvement, mediastinal and para-aortic lymph node metastases) (10%; p = 0.01). The median overall survival was 4.5 months. The progression-free interval for responders with distant metastases was significantly longer (11 months), than for responders with local metastases (4.5 months) (p = 0.004). These results may suggest that the combination treatment DTIC/IFN-alpha has a greater benefit in terms of longer progression-free interval in responders with distant metastases.
CitationDacarbazine and interferon-alpha 2a in advanced malignant melanoma: high response rate and prolongation of response duration occur in different patient subpopulations. 1995, 5 (4):277-82 Melanoma Res.
- [Chemo-/immunotherapy in advanced malignant melanoma: carboplatin and DTIC or cisplatin, dtic, bcnu and tamoxifen followed by immunotherapy with interleukin 2 and interferon alpha-2a].
- Authors: Kirchner HH, Atzpodien J, Poliwoda H
- Issue date: 1996 Apr 12
- [Treatment of metastatic melanoma with dacarbazine recombinant interferon alfa 2A combination: results of multicentric study].
- Authors: Avril MF, Beerblock K, Dreno B, Delaunay M, Bonerandi JJ, Guillaume JC, Souteyrand P, Kalis B, Chevrant-Breton J, Verret J
- Issue date: 1990
- A phase II study of combined administration of dacarbazine and carboplatin with home therapy of recombinant interleukin-2 and interferon-alpha 2a in patients with advanced malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Ron IG, Mordish Y, Eisenthal A, Skornick Y, Inbar MJ, Chaitchik S
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Treatment of metastatic melanoma with combined chemotherapy containing cisplatin, vinblastine and dacarbazine (CVD) and biotherapy using interleukin-2 and interferon-alpha.
- Authors: Legha SS, Ring S, Bedikian A, Plager C, Eton O, Buzaid AC, Papadopoulos N
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Chemoimmunotherapy of advanced malignant melanoma: sequential administration of subcutaneous interleukin-2 and interferon-alpha after intravenous dacarbazine and carboplatin or intravenous dacarbazine, cisplatin, carmustine and tamoxifen.
- Authors: Atzpodien J, Lopez Hänninen E, Kirchner H, Franzke A, Körfer A, Volkenandt M, Duensing S, Schomburg A, Chaitchik S, Poliwoda H
- Issue date: 1995 Jun