Survival and quality of life of paediatric intracranial germ cell tumour patients treated at the Christie Hospital, 1972-1993.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFrom 1972 to 1993, 25 patients under 16 years old were treated at the Christie Hospital for intracranial germ cell tumours (ICGCTs). A retrospective analysis of the case notes was undertaken. The cases comprised 10 germinomas, nine non-germinomatous germ cell tumours (NGGCTs), and six cases with no histology. Ten patients had either complete or incomplete removal of the tumour. All patients received radiotherapy (20 patients received craniospinal irradiation [CSI]). Thirteen patients received chemotherapy at presentation (six platinum-based). All marker-negative pure germinomas treated with CSI survived. The actuarial 5-year survival for NGGCTs was 44%. Although CSI resulted in spine shortening, the overall effect on growth was not marked and the neuropsychologic sequelae were minimal with good overall functional results.
CitationSurvival and quality of life of paediatric intracranial germ cell tumour patients treated at the Christie Hospital, 1972-1993. 1995, 25 (6):450-6 Med. Pediatr. Oncol.
JournalMedical and Pediatric Oncology
- Focal and craniospinal irradiation for patients with intracranial germinoma and patterns of failure.
- Authors: Nguyen QN, Chang EL, Allen PK, Maor MH, Ater JL, Mahajan A, Wolff JE, Weinberg JS, Woo SY
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 1
- Thiotepa-based high-dose chemotherapy with autologous stem-cell rescue in patients with recurrent or progressive CNS germ cell tumors.
- Authors: Modak S, Gardner S, Dunkel IJ, Balmaceda C, Rosenblum MK, Miller DC, Halpern S, Finlay JL
- Issue date: 2004 May 15
- A multimodal approach including craniospinal irradiation improves the treatment outcome of high-risk intracranial nongerminomatous germ cell tumors.
- Authors: Kim JW, Kim WC, Cho JH, Kim DS, Shim KW, Lyu CJ, Won SC, Suh CO
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 1
- Treatment and prognosis of patients with intracranial nongerminomatous malignant germ cell tumors: a multiinstitutional retrospective analysis of 41 patients.
- Authors: Ogawa K, Toita T, Nakamura K, Uno T, Onishi H, Itami J, Shikama N, Saeki N, Yoshii Y, Murayama S
- Issue date: 2003 Jul 15
- Upfront chemotherapy and involved-field radiotherapy results in more relapses than extended radiotherapy for intracranial germinomas: modification in radiotherapy volume might be needed.
- Authors: Eom KY, Kim IH, Park CI, Kim HJ, Kim JH, Kim K, Kim SK, Wang KC, Cho BG, Jung HW, Heo DS, Kang HJ, Shin HY, Ahn HS
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 1