Survival and quality of life of paediatric intracranial germ cell tumour patients treated at the Christie Hospital, 1972-1993.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFrom 1972 to 1993, 25 patients under 16 years old were treated at the Christie Hospital for intracranial germ cell tumours (ICGCTs). A retrospective analysis of the case notes was undertaken. The cases comprised 10 germinomas, nine non-germinomatous germ cell tumours (NGGCTs), and six cases with no histology. Ten patients had either complete or incomplete removal of the tumour. All patients received radiotherapy (20 patients received craniospinal irradiation [CSI]). Thirteen patients received chemotherapy at presentation (six platinum-based). All marker-negative pure germinomas treated with CSI survived. The actuarial 5-year survival for NGGCTs was 44%. Although CSI resulted in spine shortening, the overall effect on growth was not marked and the neuropsychologic sequelae were minimal with good overall functional results.
CitationSurvival and quality of life of paediatric intracranial germ cell tumour patients treated at the Christie Hospital, 1972-1993. 1995, 25 (6):450-6 Med. Pediatr. Oncol.
JournalMedical and Pediatric Oncology
- A multimodal approach including craniospinal irradiation improves the treatment outcome of high-risk intracranial nongerminomatous germ cell tumors.
- Authors: Kim JW, Kim WC, Cho JH, Kim DS, Shim KW, Lyu CJ, Won SC, Suh CO
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 1
- SIOP CNS GCT 96: final report of outcome of a prospective, multinational nonrandomized trial for children and adults with intracranial germinoma, comparing craniospinal irradiation alone with chemotherapy followed by focal primary site irradiation for patients with localized disease.
- Authors: Calaminus G, Kortmann R, Worch J, Nicholson JC, Alapetite C, Garrè ML, Patte C, Ricardi U, Saran F, Frappaz D
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Factors affecting functional outcomes in long-term survivors of intracranial germinomas: a 20-year experience in a single institution.
- Authors: Jinguji S, Yoshimura J, Nishiyama K, Aoki H, Nagasaki K, Natsumeda M, Yoneoka Y, Fukuda M, Fujii Y
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Current Management of Intracranial Germ Cell Tumours.
- Authors: Bowzyk Al-Naeeb A, Murray M, Horan G, Harris F, Kortmann RD, Nicholson J, Ajithkumar T
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Focal and craniospinal irradiation for patients with intracranial germinoma and patterns of failure.
- Authors: Nguyen QN, Chang EL, Allen PK, Maor MH, Ater JL, Mahajan A, Wolff JE, Weinberg JS, Woo SY
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 1