AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Non-small cell lung cancer can no longer be regarded as resistant to chemotherapy, and there have recently been considerable improvements in the use of the older agents and advances in the identification of new drugs. Recent meta-analysis has also confirmed the view that chemotherapy can have small but modest survival benefits. Although in the treatment of stage IV disease the criteria of efficacy have concentrated on tumour response rates, more recently it has become obvious that these patients can also benefit in terms of improved symptom control. RECENT ADVANCES: For patients with locally advanced stage III disease there have been important developments indicating the benefit of combined modality treatment with chemotherapy and thoracic irradiation. Furthermore, the use of neoadjuvant chemotherapy indicates that resection is possible in about half the patients, and on pathological examination of 15%-20% of the resected specimens there is no evidence of residual tumour. These results justify an increase in the use of systemic chemotherapy in this disease.
CitationChemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. 1995, 6 Suppl 1:83-94; discussion 94-5 Ann. Oncol.
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- Recent advances in chemotherapy for lung cancer.
- Authors: Lilenbaum RC
- Issue date: 1996 Jul
- Neoadjuvant concurrent chemotherapy and radiotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Ramella S, Ciresa M, Massaccesi M, Franceschini G, D'Angelillo RM, Trodella L
- Issue date: 2004 Oct-Dec
- Combined chemotherapy and radiation in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Belani CP, Aisner J
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Patterns of disease failure after trimodality therapy of nonsmall cell lung carcinoma pathologic stage IIIA (N2). Analysis of Cancer and Leukemia Group B Protocol 8935.
- Authors: Kumar P, Herndon J 2nd, Langer M, Kohman LJ, Elias AD, Kass FC, Eaton WL, Seagren SL, Green MR, Sugarbaker DJ
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 1
- [Phase III studies of combined chemotherapy and radiation in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer and limited small-cell lung cancer].
- Authors: Kawahara M
- Issue date: 1995 Feb