Treatment and survival of lymphoid malignancy in the north-west of England: a population-based study.
AffiliationMerseyside and Cheshire Cancer Registry, University of Liverpool, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractClassification of lymphoid malignancy has changed markedly in recent years and advances have been made in therapy. This study investigated the variations in treatment and survival of 1622 patients in a population-based registry. A total of 1009 cases of malignant lymphoma (ML) were classified according to the Kiel classification. Pathology review resulted in major diagnostic changes for 24% of cases. Of the ML cases, 39% had not had full staging procedures. Younger patients were more likely to have been treated with multiagent chemotherapy regimens, as were patients with B symptoms. Median survival for ML patients was 12 months for high-grade patients and more than 60 months for low-grade patients. Significant factors affecting the survival of ML patients were performance status, whether treatment had followed a recognised protocol, whether treatment had been carried out at a specialist oncology centre (SOC), grade of disease, stage, gender and age. The same factors had a significant effect on survival of the leukaemia patients, except for treatment at an SOC, which had a significant favourable effect on survival of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) patients only. Median survival for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia was 43 months and 7 months for ALL patients.
CitationTreatment and survival of lymphoid malignancy in the north-west of England: a population-based study. 1995, 72 (3):757-65 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Small noncleaved cell lymphoma and leukemia in adults. A retrospective study of 65 adults treated with the LMB pediatric protocols.
- Authors: Soussain C, Patte C, Ostronoff M, Delmer A, Rigal-Huguet F, Cambier N, Leprisé PY, François S, Cony-Makhoul P, Harousseau JL
- Issue date: 1995 Feb 1
- A single unit lymphoma experience: outcome in a Cape Town academic centre.
- Authors: Wood L, Robinson R, Gavine L, Juritz J, Jacobs P
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for low-grade lymphoma.
- Authors: van Besien K, Sobocinski KA, Rowlings PA, Murphy SC, Armitage JO, Bishop MR, Chaekal OK, Gale RP, Klein JP, Lazarus HM, McCarthy PL Jr, Raemaekers JM, Reiffers J, Phillips GL, Schattenberg AV, Verdonck LF, Vose JM, Horowitz MM
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 1
- Primary gastric lymphomas: a clinicopathologic study with literature review.
- Authors: Roukos DH, Hottenrott C, Encke A, Baltogiannis G, Casioumis D
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- Treatment patterns in low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: a single institution study.
- Authors: Liesveld JL, Raubertas RF, Bennett JM
- Issue date: 1991