Growth and puberty after growth hormone treatment after irradiation for brain tumours.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe impact of treatment with either cranial or craniospinal irradiation with or without cytotoxic chemotherapy for a brain tumour distant from the hypothalamic-pituitary axis was assessed in 29 children who had reached final height. All had received growth hormone treatment for radiation induced growth hormone deficiency. Final height, segmental growth during puberty, and duration of puberty were studied. Both craniospinal irradiation and the use of chemotherapy resulted in a significant and equal reduction in final height; this effect in those children who received both craniospinal irradiation and chemotherapy was additive. The degree of height loss was related to the age at irradiation, the most profound effect on final height occurring in the youngest at irradiation. The mean duration of puberty from G2-G4/B2-B4 (1.97 years) was not significantly different from the duration of puberty in normal children. Growth hormone increases growth velocity in children with radiation induced growth hormone deficiency but their final height is significantly less than their mid-parental height. The use of spinal irradiation and chemotherapy in the original treatment of brain tumours has a marked effect on growth which is not overcome with the use of growth hormone treatment in current doses. Early puberty of normal duration contributes to poor growth.
CitationGrowth and puberty after growth hormone treatment after irradiation for brain tumours. 1995, 73 (2):141-6 Arch. Dis. Child.
JournalArchives of Disease in Childhood
- Response to growth hormone treatment and final height after cranial or craniospinal irradiation.
- Authors: Sulmont V, Brauner R, Fontoura M, Rappaport R
- Issue date: 1990 May
- Treatment of radiation-induced growth hormone deficiency with growth hormone-releasing hormone.
- Authors: Ogilvy-Stuart AL, Stirling HF, Kelnar CJ, Savage MO, Dunger DB, Buckler JM, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1997 May
- Final height after combined growth hormone and gonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogue therapy in short healthy children entering into normally timed puberty.
- Authors: Lanes R, Gunczler P
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Role of busulfan and total body irradiation on growth of prepubertal children receiving bone marrow transplantation and results of treatment with recombinant human growth hormone.
- Authors: Giorgiani G, Bozzola M, Locatelli F, Picco P, Zecca M, Cisternino M, Dallorso S, Bonetti F, Dini G, Borrone C
- Issue date: 1995 Jul 15
- Growth and growth hormone secretion in children following treatment of brain tumours with radiotherapy.
- Authors: Darendeliler F, Livesey EA, Hindmarsh PC, Brook CG
- Issue date: 1990 Oct