Validation of a model to predict survival in elderly patients with acute myeloid leukaemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Christie Hospital, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntensive chemotherapy is the treatment of choice for selected elderly patients with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML). We recently developed a model to predict survival, thereby providing objective information upon which to select appropriate therapy for such patients. Such models, however, must be validated on a cohort of patients not used during the development of the model. We have tested the model using a series of 61 elderly patients consecutively treated with intensive chemotherapy. Using several statistical techniques, we have shown that the model is of value in predicting prognosis, though two patients did markedly better than the model prediction. This model may be useful for predicting survival in elderly patients with AML and warrants more extensive validation.
CitationValidation of a model to predict survival in elderly patients with acute myeloid leukaemia. 1995, 90 (4):954-6 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Prognostic factors in elderly patients with acute myeloid leukaemia: development of a model to predict survival.
- Authors: Johnson PR, Hunt LP, Yin JA
- Issue date: 1993 Oct
- Results of intensive chemotherapy in 998 patients age 65 years or older with acute myeloid leukemia or high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome: predictive prognostic models for outcome.
- Authors: Kantarjian H, O'brien S, Cortes J, Giles F, Faderl S, Jabbour E, Garcia-Manero G, Wierda W, Pierce S, Shan J, Estey E
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 1
- Intensive treatment of patients age 60 years and older with de novo acute myeloid leukemia: analysis of prognostic factors.
- Authors: Stasi R, Venditti A, Del Poeta G, Aronica G, Dentamaro T, Cecconi M, Stipa E, Scimò MT, Masi M, Amadori S
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 15
- Adult acute leukaemia--a retrospective study of 66 consecutive patients.
- Authors: Shapiro J, Brown S, Briggs P, Stanley R, Griffiths J, Brodie G, Richardson G
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Prognosis of older patients with acute myeloid leukemia receiving either induction or noncurative treatment: a single-center retrospective study.
- Authors: Behringer B, Pitako JA, Kunzmann R, Schmoor C, Behringer D, Mertelsmann R, Lübbert M
- Issue date: 2003 Jul