AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIM: To describe the clinical, histological and immunohistochemical features in four cases of an uncommon benign lymph node lesion which may mimic a neoplastic process. METHODS: Four cases of inflammatory pseudotumour of lymph nodes were studied using conventional staining (haematoxylin and eosin, PAS, Gordon and Sweets reticulin stain, and the Ziehl-Neelsen stain) and with immunohistochemical techniques using a variety of antibodies (CD3, L26, CD15, CD21, CD30, KP1, MAC 387, vimentin, alpha SMA, HHF-35, D33, CD34, and S100). RESULTS: The lesion comprises a proliferation of spindle cells expanding the connective tissue framework of lymph nodes and is associated with a plasma cell and small lymphocyte infiltrate. There are variable numbers of macrophages, neutrophils and eosinophils, and varying degrees of fibrosis. Vascular changes are common but vary in degree and type. CONCLUSIONS: Inflammatory pseudotumour of lymph nodes is an uncommon benign reaction pattern which may be misdiagnosed as a neoplastic or even a malignant process. Increased awareness of its histological features should help prevent such misdiagnoses.
CitationInflammatory pseudotumour of lymph nodes. 1995, 48 (1):37-40 J. Clin. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- Clinical and histological coexistence of inflammatory pseudotumour of the lymph nodes and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Manganelli P, Fietta P, Martella EM, Quaini F
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Inflammatory pseudotumor of lymph nodes: a study of 25 cases with emphasis on morphological heterogeneity.
- Authors: Moran CA, Suster S, Abbondanzo SL
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- [Mycobacterial spindle cell pseudotumor of lymph nodes].
- Authors: Yin H, Zhou X, Meng K, Sun Y
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Intestinal inflammatory pseudotumour with regional lymph node involvement: identification of a new bacterium as the aetiological agent.
- Authors: Cheuk W, Woo PC, Yuen KY, Yu PH, Chan JK
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- [Lymph node inflammatory pseudotumor. Description of a case].
- Authors: Tranchina MG, Allegra E, Greco P, Puzzo L
- Issue date: 1997 Dec