The impact of cancer on key relatives: a comparison of relative and patient concerns.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Psychological Medicine Group, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study examines the impact of diagnosis on key relatives of 108 newly diagnosed cancer patients. Cancers of the breast, colon, female reproductive tract and testicle were included. Relatives completed a self-report checklist of concerns and the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ) (28 items). Patients were administered a corresponding concerns checklist as part of a semi-structured interview. More relatives than patients expressed each of the nine common concerns; the discrepancy was greatest for concern about the patient's emotional reaction, reported by 95% of relatives and only 18% of patients. The total relatives' concern score (median 16.0) was significantly greater than the patients' score (median 4.0) (P < 0.0001). Cancer type, age of patient and nature of relationship to patient had little impact on the frequency of relatives' concerns. 52 (48%) relatives scored above the usual cut-off on the GHQ, suggesting significant psychological morbidity. Relatives of newly diagnosed cancer patients report high levels of concerns and psychological distress, and deserve greater attention than they currently receive.
CitationThe impact of cancer on key relatives: a comparison of relative and patient concerns. 1995, 31A (11):1736-40 Eur. J. Cancer
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Appraisal of caregiving, burden and psychological distress in relatives of psychiatric inpatients.
- Authors: Ostman M, Hansson L
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- [Causes and psychosocial consequences of schizophrenia: the opinions of patient's relatives].
- Authors: Magliano L, Fiorillo A, Malangone C, Guarneri M, Marasco C, Maj M
- Issue date: 2000 Apr-Jun
- Factors that influence cancer patients' and relatives' anxiety following a three-person medical consultation: impact of a communication skills training program for physicians.
- Authors: Lienard A, Merckaert I, Libert Y, Delvaux N, Marchal S, Boniver J, Etienne AM, Klastersky J, Reynaert C, Scalliet P, Slachmuylder JL, Razavi D
- Issue date: 2008 May
- [Caregiver burden in relatives of persons with schizophrenia: an overview of measure instruments].
- Authors: Reine G, Lancon C, Simeoni MC, Duplan S, Auquier P
- Issue date: 2003 Mar-Apr
- Relatives of patients with severe psychotic illness: factors that influence appraisal of caregiving and psychological distress.
- Authors: Harvey K, Burns T, Fahy T, Manley C, Tattan T
- Issue date: 2001 Sep