Case report: enlargement of a mediastinal mass during treatment for Hodgkin's disease may be due to accumulation of fluid within thymic cysts.
AffiliationDepartment of Diagnostic Radiology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA patient with Hodgkin's Disease (HD) is described as one in whom a mediastinal mass showed progressive enlargement during the first two cycles of chemotherapy owing to accumulation of fluid within thymic cysts. This phenomenon was identified by computed tomography. Dependence on plain radiography would have led to an erroneous diagnosis of progressive HD. We suggest that in all cases of mediastinal HD, apparent failure to respond to treatment must be further investigated by computed tomography or magnetic resonance imaging. Such a policy should avoid unnecessary changes in therapy when enlargement of thymic cysts causing mediastinal widening is mistakenly interpreted as being due to progressive disease.
CitationCase report: enlargement of a mediastinal mass during treatment for Hodgkin's disease may be due to accumulation of fluid within thymic cysts. 1995, 50 (1):61-2 Clin Radiol
- Concurrent development of a thymic cyst and mediastinal Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Kaesberg PR, Foley DB, Pellett J, Hafez GR, Ershler WB
- Issue date: 1988
- Rare case of a large mediastinal cyst involved in Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Steinmüller F, Traeger T, Kühn JP, Busemann A, Evert M
- Issue date: 2012 May 15
- Thymic cysts in mediastinal Hodgkin disease.
- Authors: Lindfors KK, Meyer JE, Dedrick CG, Hassell LA, Harris NL
- Issue date: 1985 Jul
- [Hodgkin's disease with a giant thymic cyst].
- Authors: Takeshita K, Terashima T, Urano T, Yamaguchi K, Kanazawa M, Izumi Y, Kakizaki T, Kikuchi K, Kobayashi K, Mukai M
- Issue date: 1994 Jul
- Monitoring bulky mediastinal disease with gallium-67, CT-scan and magnetic resonance imaging in Hodgkin's disease and high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Zinzani PL, Zompatori M, Bendandi M, Battista G, Fanti S, Barbieri E, Gherlinzoni F, Rimondi MR, Frezza G, Pisi P, Merla E, Gozzetti A, Canini R, Monetti N, Babini L, Tura S
- Issue date: 1996 Jun