Clinical applications of composite and realtime megavoltage imaging.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe versatility of electronic portal imaging devices (EPIDs) is best demonstrated by their ability to perform novel megavoltage imaging protocols, which are still pertinent to good radiotherapy practice. This paper examines two such techniques: composite and realtime imaging. Our EPID can be programmed to acquire and manipulate images very easily, allowing images from segmented treatment protocols to be mixed and displayed, giving a composite image of the effective treatment result. Its use for verifying the efficacy of spinal shielding using a segmented, offset collimator technique is described. By acquiring images very quickly, realtime imaging sequences can be obtained and used to analyse anatomical movement within a single treatment field. The technique is employed here to investigate movement in radical lung, breast, abdomen, pelvis and thyroid treatments. Our results show that the protocol is vital for treatment sites involving the lungs; changes up to 5 mm have been observed in the maximum lung depth for breast treatments, and displacements up to 16 mm for radical lung treatments. It is also useful in other anatomical sites for ensuring that no movement occurs.
CitationClinical applications of composite and realtime megavoltage imaging. 1995, 7 (5):308-16 Clin Oncol
- Observation study of electronic portal images for off-line verification.
- Authors: Lavertu S, Girouard LM, Pouliot J
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Cone-beam CT with megavoltage beams and an amorphous silicon electronic portal imaging device: potential for verification of radiotherapy of lung cancer.
- Authors: Ford EC, Chang J, Mueller K, Sidhu K, Todor D, Mageras G, Yorke E, Ling CC, Amols H
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Technical note: the efficacy of megavoltage imaging in the radical radiotherapy of non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Levine EL, Burt PA, Stout R, Kane B
- Issue date: 1995 Jun
- A literature review of electronic portal imaging for radiotherapy dosimetry.
- Authors: van Elmpt W, McDermott L, Nijsten S, Wendling M, Lambin P, Mijnheer B
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Dose comparison of megavoltage cone-beam and orthogonal-pair portal images.
- Authors: Peng LC, Yang CC, Sim S, Weiss M, Bielajew A
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 27