Intraluminal brachytherapy using the high dose rate microSelectron in the palliation of carcinoma of the oesophagus.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiotherapy, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA total of 197 patients, who presented to the Christie Hospital with advanced carcinoma of the oesophagus, were treated with the high dose rate microSelectron between June 1988 and June 1992. In 54%, a single intraluminal brachytherapy treatment resulted in useful palliation, which was sustained for a substantial part of the patient's remaining life. The simplicity of the treatment, which could be completed as a day case procedure and did not cause significant morbidity, commends itself in the palliation of these patients who have poor overall survival and quality of life. Approaches that might improve the response rate in those patients who did not gain significant palliation after a single treatment are discussed.
CitationIntraluminal brachytherapy using the high dose rate microSelectron in the palliation of carcinoma of the oesophagus. 1995, 7 (2):102-5 Clin Oncol
- Palliation of dysphagia in advanced, metastatic or recurrent carcinoma oesophagus with high dose rate intraluminal brachytherapy--an eastern Indian experience of 35 cases.
- Authors: Ghosh S, Sau S, Mitra S, Manna A, Ghosh K
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Palliation of advanced/recurrent esophageal carcinoma with high-dose-rate brachytherapy.
- Authors: Sharma V, Mahantshetty U, Dinshaw KA, Deshpande R, Sharma S
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 1
- Intraluminal high-dose-rate brachytherapy for palliation of dysphagia in cancer of the esophagus: initial experience at a single UK center.
- Authors: Bhatt L, Tirmazy S, Sothi S
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Intraluminal brachytherapy in the treatment of oesophageal cancers--some preliminary results.
- Authors: Wee JT, Theobald DR, Chua EJ
- Issue date: 1994 Mar
- Endocavitary radiotherapy in carcinoma oesophagus.
- Authors: Jha AK, Prasiko G, Mod H, Chaurasia PP, Srivastava E
- Issue date: 2006 Jan-Mar