No mutation at codon 918 of the RET gene in a family with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMultiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B (MEN 2B) is a rare cancer syndrome which is inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. The molecular basis of this condition has recently been defined as a mutation of codon 918 of exon 16 of the RET proto-oncogene. The mutation in codon 918 has been described in 69 out of 72 families with MEN 2B. We have studied a brother and sister who undoubtedly have the features of MEN 2B as evidenced by medullary thyroid carcinoma, phaeochromocytoma, mucosal neuromas and skeletal abnormalities. Neither of these patients has the classic gene mutation at codon 918 of exon 16 of the RET proto-oncogene, and although exons 2-20 have also been sequenced, no abnormality has been found. DNA analysis is a sensitive method of screening families for the MEN 2 syndromes. The absence of the mutation at codon 918 in a phenotypically normal individual would refute the diagnosis of MEN 2B, but in an individual with some of the features of MEN 2B would make the clinician reconsider the diagnosis. This family demonstrates that, although it is rare, the absence of the mutation in codon 918 of exon 16 of the RET proto-oncogene does not always exclude the diagnosis of MEN 2B. In such families routine biochemical screening for medullary thyroid carcinoma and phaeochromocytoma must be maintained for all individuals at genetic risk.
CitationNo mutation at codon 918 of the RET gene in a family with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B. 1995, 43 (6):759-62 Clin. Endocrinol
- RET protooncogene mutational analysis in multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2B: case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Kahn MA, Cote GJ, Gagel RF
- Issue date: 1996 Sep
- Germline dinucleotide mutation in codon 883 of the RET proto-oncogene in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B without codon 918 mutation.
- Authors: Gimm O, Marsh DJ, Andrew SD, Frilling A, Dahia PL, Mulligan LM, Zajac JD, Robinson BG, Eng C
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Relationship of familial prominent corneal nerves and lesions of the tongue resembling neuromas to multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B.
- Authors: Dennehy PJ, Feldman GL, Kambouris M, O'Malley ER, Sanders CY, Jackson CE
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Mutation analysis of the RET proto-oncogene in Dutch families with MEN 2A, MEN 2B and FMTC: two novel mutations and one de novo mutation for MEN 2A.
- Authors: Landsvater RM, Jansen RP, Hofstra RM, Buys CH, Lips CJ, Ploos van Amstel HK
- Issue date: 1996 Jan