Late carmustine lung fibrosis. Age at treatment may influence severity and survival.
AffiliationNorth West Lung Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPreviously, we have reported in 1990 that 35% of carmustine treated patients (6 of 17) who survived childhood brain tumors died of pulmonary fibrosis between 2 and 13 years after treatment. In addition, 8 patients studied in 1989 (13 to 17 years post treatment), had physiologic and biopsy or radiologic evidence of pulmonary fibrosis. We now report 3 more years of follow-up on these patients. Between 1989 and 1992, two more patients have died of pulmonary fibrosis, giving an overall mortality of 47%. Of the eight patients who died of pulmonary fibrosis, the median age at treatment was 2.5 years, whereas the nine long-term survivors had a median age at treatment of 10 years. All five patients treated below the age of 5 years have died of lung fibrosis. Analysis by the standard survival curve method indicated that patients treated at an age less than 6 years were more likely to die than those treated at an age older than 7 years (p = 0.03). Of the nine survivors, seven were observed over 3 more years. There was a gradual decline in mean forced vital capacity from 55% predicted (range, 44 to 81) to 51% predicted (range, 41 to 72) and total lung capacity fell from 65% predicted (range, 51 to 89) to 57% predicted (range, 47 to 77).
CitationLate carmustine lung fibrosis. Age at treatment may influence severity and survival. 1995, 107 (5):1355-7 Chest
- Active lung fibrosis up to 17 years after chemotherapy with carmustine (BCNU) in childhood.
- Authors: O'Driscoll BR, Hasleton PS, Taylor PM, Poulter LW, Gattameneni HR, Woodcock AA
- Issue date: 1990 Aug 9
- 25-year study of lung fibrosis following carmustine therapy for brain tumor in childhood.
- Authors: Lohani S, O'Driscoll BR, Woodcock AA
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Carmustine toxicity presenting as a lobar infiltrate.
- Authors: Patterson DL, Wiemann MC, Lee TH, Byron WA Jr
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Pulmonary toxicity from carmustine (BCNU): a case report.
- Authors: Weiss RB, Shah S, Shane SR
- Issue date: 1979
- Late BCNU lung: a light and ultrastructural study on the delayed effect of BCNU on the lung parenchyma.
- Authors: Hasleton PS, O'Driscoll BR, Lynch P, Webster A, Kalra SJ, Gattamaneini HR, Woodcock AA, Poulter LW
- Issue date: 1991 May