Definition of local recurrence after surgery for rectal carcinoma.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLocal recurrence rates of rectal carcinoma have been analysed among 284 patients in a prospective randomized multicentre trial of adjuvant preoperative radiotherapy for locally advanced rectal carcinoma. Wide variations in local recurrence rates are demonstrated depending on the definition of local recurrence employed and the subgroup studied. Thus after surgical operation alone, rates as high as 43.3 per cent or as low as 12.7 per cent can be calculated. After both adjuvant preoperative radiotherapy and operation the overall local recurrence rate is 12.8 per cent, although the local recurrence rate inside the radiotherapy field (true recurrence) may be as low as 2.3 per cent. It is recommended that local recurrence after operation for rectal carcinoma be defined as any detectable local disease at follow-up, occurring either alone or in conjunction with generalized recurrence, in patients who have undergone resection. A rate should be given both for all patients and for those operated on for cure, but not for the latter group alone as this could introduce bias.
CitationDefinition of local recurrence after surgery for rectal carcinoma. 1995, 82 (4):465-8 Br J Surg
JournalThe British Journal of Surgery
- Radical surgery and postoperative radiotherapy as combined treatment in rectal cancer. Final results of a phase III study of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.
- Authors: Arnaud JP, Nordlinger B, Bosset JF, Boes GH, Sahmoud T, Schlag PM, Pene F
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- Impact of radiotherapy on local recurrence of rectal cancer in Norway.
- Authors: Hansen MH, Kjaeve J, Revhaug A, Eriksen MT, Wibe A, Vonen B, Norwegian Rectal Cancer Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Adjuvant preoperative radiotherapy for locally advanced rectal carcinoma. Results of a prospective, randomized trial.
- Authors: Marsh PJ, James RD, Schofield PF
- Issue date: 1994 Dec
- Adjuvant radiation therapy in resectable rectal cancer: should local recurrence rates affect the decision?
- Authors: Kim NK, Senagore AJ, Luchtefeld MA, MacKeigan JM, Mazier WP, Belknap K
- Issue date: 1997 Jul