Chemotherapy with vincristine/ifosfamide/carboplatin/etoposide in small cell lung cancer.
AuthorsLorigan, Paul C
Lee, Siow Ming
Betticher, Daniel C
AffiliationYCRC Department of Clinical Oncology, Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough chemotherapy is considered the cornerstone of treatment for small cell lung cancer (SCLC), the majority of SCLC patients relapse and die of their disease within 2 years of diagnosis. Until newer, more effective drugs are developed, both optimization of available chemotherapeutic regimens and the use of combined chemotherapy/radiotherapy will be required to improve the survival of SCLC patients. Combining ifosfamide, carboplatin, and etoposide, among the most active single agents against SCLC, into the ICE regimen was a logical move that has resulted in improved response and survival rates. In limited and extensive SCLC, respectively, ICE and ICE administered with vincristine (VICE) have achieved overall response rates of 79% to 94% and 77% to 100% and 2-year survival rates of 24% to 33% and 9% to 25%, respectively. Treatment-related toxicities, especially myelosuppression, have hindered efforts to accelerate the administration of ICE and VICE regimens and to incorporate them into combined-modality treatments. However, the use of hematologic support measures, including growth factors and peripheral blood progenitor cells, may pave the way for maximizing the effectiveness of these regimens.
CitationChemotherapy with vincristine/ifosfamide/carboplatin/etoposide in small cell lung cancer. 1995, 22 (3 Suppl 7):32-41 Semin. Oncol.
JournalSeminars in Oncology
- Treatment of relapsed aggressive lymphomas: regimens with and without high-dose therapy and stem cell rescue.
- Authors: Hagemeister FB
- Issue date: 2002 May
- A threefold dose intensity treatment with ifosfamide, carboplatin, and etoposide for patients with small cell lung cancer: a randomized trial.
- Authors: Leyvraz S, Pampallona S, Martinelli G, Ploner F, Perey L, Aversa S, Peters S, Brunsvig P, Montes A, Lange A, Yilmaz U, Rosti G, Solid Tumors Working Party of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 16
- High-dose ifosfamide, carboplatin and etoposide with autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantation for small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Bessho A, Ueoka H, Kiura K, Tabata M, Sunami K, Katayama Y, Yamane H, Hiraki A, Harada M
- Issue date: 1999 Jan-Feb
- Ifosfamide in the treatment of small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Ettinger DS
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Chemotherapy for small cell lung carcinoma: the Greenlane Hospital experience 1993-1995.
- Authors: Lee YC, McCrystal MR, Christmas TI
- Issue date: 1998 Nov 27