Deduction of the clonogen content of intestinal crypts: a direct comparison of two-dose and multiple-dose methodologies.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Biomathematics and Computing Unit, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA microcolony assay was used in conjunction with fractionated gamma irradiation to determine the number of clonogens in murine intestinal crypts with varying doses of irradiation used in the determination. The experimental design allows direct comparison between two-dose methodologies, employing one and two (or two or four) equal dose fractions, and multiple-dose methodologies involving determination of the crypt survival curves for a number of fractionation regimens using equal doses per fraction. The two-dose methodology yielded estimates of clonogen number of between 3 and 4 at low delivered dose (single and double fractions each of 6.5-7.5 Gy), rising to around 40 at high biological doses (two and four fractions each of 5.75 or 6.5 Gy). The multifraction methodology yielded estimates of clonogen number which increased from 13 after a single fraction to values of 26 and 22 after three and four fractions. However, the latter values were reduced to 11 and 9, and showed little evidence of any dependence on fraction number, when data pertaining to high biologically effective doses were excluded. Hence it is concluded that the high values for clonogen number typically deduced from such multiple-dose protocols, compared with the generally lower (but dose-dependent) values obtained from two-dose protocols, may be explained at least partially by the higher biological doses generally employed in the multiple-dose protocols.
CitationDeduction of the clonogen content of intestinal crypts: a direct comparison of two-dose and multiple-dose methodologies. 1995, 141 (3):303-8 Radiat. Res.
- The effect of proliferative status and clonogen content on the response of mouse jejunal crypts to split-dose irradiation.
- Authors: Thames HD, Ruifrok AC, Mason KA
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- The clonogen content of murine intestinal crypts: dependence on radiation dose used in its determination.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Roberts SA, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1992 Oct
- Clonogen content of intestinal crypts: its deduction using a microcolony assay on whole mount preparations and its dependence on radiation dose.
- Authors: Roberts SA, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1994 Apr
- Dose-survival curves, alpha/beta ratios, RBE values, and equal effect per fraction for neutron irradiation of jejunal crypt cells.
- Authors: Withers HR, Mason KA, Taylor JM, Kim DK, Smathers JB
- Issue date: 1993 Jun
- Test of equal effect per fraction and estimation of initial clonogen number in microcolony assays of survival after fractionated irradiation.
- Authors: Thames HD Jr, Withers HR
- Issue date: 1980 Nov