Testicular toxicity of the transferrin binding radionuclide 114mIn in adult and neonatal rats.
AuthorsHoyes, Katherine P
Johnston, R E
Lendon, R G
Hendry, Jolyon H
Sharma, H L
Morris, Ian D
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdult (70 d) and neonatal (7 d) male rats were dosed (i.p.) with 37 MBq/kg (1 mCi/kg; approximately 1 microgram elemental indium/kg) 114mIn, a transferrin-binding radionuclide. In adults, approximately 0.25% of the injected activity localised within the testis by 48 h postinjection and remained constant for up to 63 d. In neonates, 0.06% of the activity was in the testis by 48 h, and this declined such that by 63 d only 0.03% remained. At 63 d, treated rats had reduced sperm head counts and abnormal testicular histology that was more marked in animals dosed as adults than as neonates. In vitro, uptake of 114mIn into seminiferous tubules isolated from 7-, 20-, or 70-d-old rats was compared with that of 125I. Both radionuclides were readily accumulated by the tubules. Whilst 114In uptake into 20- and 70-d tubules was inhibited by excess transferrin, uptake into 7-d tubules was unchanged. 125I uptake was not affected by excess transferrin. These data support the contention that some radionuclides may cross the blood-testis barrier by utilisation of the physiologic iron-transferrin pathway, which may lead to greater testicular damage in adult compared to neonatal animals.
CitationTesticular toxicity of the transferrin binding radionuclide 114mIn in adult and neonatal rats., 9 (3):297-305 Reprod. Toxicol.
- Transferrin-mediated uptake of radionuclides by the testis.
- Authors: Hoyes KP, Morris ID, Hendry JH, Sharma HL
- Issue date: 1996 Feb
- Spermatogenic and mutagenic damage after paternal exposure to systemic indium-114m.
- Authors: Hoyes KP, Sharma HL, Jackson H, Hendry JH, Morris ID
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Transferrin-mediated uptake of plutonium by spermatogenic tubules.
- Authors: Hoyes KP, Bingham D, Hendry JH, Harrison JD, Sharma HL, Morris ID
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Spermatogenesis and epididymal sperm after scrotal gamma irradiation in adult rats.
- Authors: Bansal MR, Kaul A, Tewari M, Nehru B
- Issue date: 1990
- In vivo induction of O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferase in response to indium-114m.
- Authors: Wilson RE, Hoyes KP, Morris ID, Sharma HL, Hendry JH, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1994 Apr