The association of an HPV16 oncogene variant with HLA-B7 has implications for vaccine design in cervical cancer.
AuthorsEllis, J R
Keating, P J
Hounsell, E F
Renouf, D V
Duggan-Keen, Margaret F
Bartholomew, J S
Young, L S
Stern, Peter L
AffiliationUniversity of Birmingham CRC Institute for Cancer Studies, University of Birmingham Medical School, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHLA-restricted cytotoxic T-lymphocyte (CTL) recognition of human papillomavirus (HPV) oncogene products may be important in the control of the HPV infections associated with the development of cervical cancer. We have identified, in HLA-B7 individuals, a consistent variation in the HPV16 E6 oncoprotein sequence, which alters an HLA-B7 peptide binding epitope in a way likely to influence immune recognition by CTLs. These results illustrate a biologically relevant mechanism for escape from immune surveillance of HPV16 in HLA-B7 individuals. Thus, both HLA type and HPV16 strain variation need to be considered in the screening of at-risk individuals and for the rational design of anti-HPV vaccines.
CitationThe association of an HPV16 oncogene variant with HLA-B7 has implications for vaccine design in cervical cancer. 1995, 1 (5):464-70 Nat. Med.
- Human CTL epitopes encoded by human papillomavirus type 16 E6 and E7 identified through in vivo and in vitro immunogenicity studies of HLA-A*0201-binding peptides.
- Authors: Ressing ME, Sette A, Brandt RM, Ruppert J, Wentworth PA, Hartman M, Oseroff C, Grey HM, Melief CJ, Kast WM
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 1
- HLA-A2-restricted peripheral blood cytolytic T lymphocyte response to HPV type 16 proteins E6 and E7 from patients with neoplastic cervical lesions.
- Authors: Evans C, Bauer S, Grubert T, Brucker C, Baur S, Heeg K, Wagner H, Lipford GB
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Occasional memory cytotoxic T-cell responses of patients with human papillomavirus type 16-positive cervical lesions against a human leukocyte antigen-A *0201-restricted E7-encoded epitope.
- Authors: Ressing ME, van Driel WJ, Celis E, Sette A, Brandt MP, Hartman M, Anholts JD, Schreuder GM, ter Harmsel WB, Fleuren GJ, Trimbos BJ, Kast WM, Melief CJ
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 1
- Detection of T helper responses, but not of human papillomavirus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses, after peptide vaccination of patients with cervical carcinoma.
- Authors: Ressing ME, van Driel WJ, Brandt RM, Kenter GG, de Jong JH, Bauknecht T, Fleuren GJ, Hoogerhout P, Offringa R, Sette A, Celis E, Grey H, Trimbos BJ, Kast WM, Melief CJ
- Issue date: 2000 Mar-Apr
- Association between human papillomavirus 16 E6 variants and human leukocyte antigen class I polymorphism in cervical cancer of Swedish women.
- Authors: Zehbe I, Mytilineos J, Wikström I, Henriksen R, Edler L, Tommasino M
- Issue date: 2003 May