Cloning of the murine homolog of the leukemia-associated PML gene.
AffiliationImperial Cancer Research Fund, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPML, a Ring-finger protein, participates in the disruption of normal myeloid differentiation when fused to the retinoic acid receptor alpha (RAR alpha) by the translocation between chromosomes (Chrs) 15 and 17 in acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL). As an initial step in the characterization of PML in species other than human, a murine cDNA clone of the PML gene was isolated and sequenced, and the intron/exon organization of the murine locus determined. The predicted amino acid sequence of the mouse PML protein shows 80% similarity to that of its human homolog. However, the mouse and human proteins show greater than 90% similarity in the proposed functional domains of the proteins. Despite its role in the etiology of APL, PML expression is not detectably altered during granulocytic differentiation in a murine in vitro system. Chromosomal localization of the Pml locus by somatic cell hybrids and by linkage analysis indicates that the gene maps to a region of mouse Chr 9 with known linkage homology to the region on human Chr 15q to which PML has been localized.
CitationCloning of the murine homolog of the leukemia-associated PML gene. 1995, 6 (10):732-7 Mamm. Genome
- The PML-RAR alpha gene product of the t(15;17) translocation inhibits retinoic acid-induced granulocytic differentiation and mediated transactivation in human myeloid cells.
- Authors: Rousselot P, Hardas B, Patel A, Guidez F, Gäken J, Castaigne S, Dejean A, de Thé H, Degos L, Farzaneh F
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Acute promyelocytic leukemia: from clinic to molecular biology.
- Authors: Chen SJ, Wang ZY, Chen Z
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- The PML-RAR alpha fusion mRNA generated by the t(15;17) translocation in acute promyelocytic leukemia encodes a functionally altered RAR.
- Authors: de Thé H, Lavau C, Marchio A, Chomienne C, Degos L, Dejean A
- Issue date: 1991 Aug 23
- Growth suppression of acute promyelocytic leukemia cells having increased expression of the non-rearranged alleles: RAR alpha or PML.
- Authors: Ahn MJ, Nason-Burchenal K, Moasser MM, Dmitrovsky E
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 15
- Molecular analysis of the PML/RAR alpha chimeric gene in pediatric acute promyelocytic leukemia.
- Authors: Kane JR, Head DR, Balazs L, Hulshof MG, Motroni TA, Raimondi SC, Carroll AJ, Behm FG, Krance RA, Shurtleff SA, Downing JR
- Issue date: 1996 Aug