Early gene signalling-dependent and -independent induction of apoptosis in Ramos human B cells can be inhibited by over-expression of Bcl-2.
AffiliationDivision of Life Sciences, King's College London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have previously shown that calcium ionophore-induced apoptosis of Ramos human B cells is preceded by the induced expression of early response genes, implying a requirement for new gene expression in this mode of programmed cell death. We have found in the present studies that inhibitors of macromolecular synthesis, cycloheximide and actinomycin D, are also potent inducers of apoptosis in the same Ramos cell model. These drugs trigger apoptosis through apparently early gene signalling-independent pathways. Although different mechanisms for induction of apoptosis exist in Ramos cells, enforced over-expression of Bcl-2 protects cells from apoptosis induced in response to different agents, demonstrating that Bcl-2 blocks a final common pathway for programmed cell death in the Ramos cell model.
CitationEarly gene signalling-dependent and -independent induction of apoptosis in Ramos human B cells can be inhibited by over-expression of Bcl-2. 1995, 215 (1):23-9 Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.
JournalBiochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
- Distinct mechanisms for rescue from apoptosis in Ramos human B cells by signaling through CD40 and interleukin-4 receptor: role for inhibition of an early response gene, Berg36.
- Authors: Ning ZQ, Norton JD, Li J, Murphy JJ
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Bcl-2 inhibits glucocorticoid-induced apoptosis but only partially blocks calcium ionophore or cycloheximide-regulated apoptosis in S49 cells.
- Authors: Caron-Leslie LA, Evans RB, Cidlowski JA
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Role of bcl-X(L) in the control of apoptosis in murine myeloma cells.
- Authors: Gauthier ER, Piché L, Lemieux G, Lemieux R
- Issue date: 1996 Mar 15
- Suppression of apoptosis in a cytotoxic T-cell line by interleukin 2-mediated gene transcription and deregulated expression of the protooncogene bcl-2.
- Authors: Deng G, Podack ER
- Issue date: 1993 Mar 15
- Calcium ionophore-induced apoptosis of human B cells is preceded by the induced expression of early response genes.
- Authors: Ning ZQ, Murphy JJ
- Issue date: 1993 Dec