Role of interleukin-3 in the regulation of intracellular K+ homeostasis in cultured murine haemopoietic cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Physics and Instrumentation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComparative fluorimetric, flow cytofluorimetric and fluorescence ratiometric determinations of intracellular K+ concentrations in murine haemopoietic cells (FDCP-Mix clone A4) cultured in the presence and absence of the specific growth factor Interleukin-3 were carried out with the fluorescent potassium-binding benzofuran-isophthalate acetoxymethyl ester probe. Cell suspensions kept in the absence of Interleukin-3 for 5 hours exhibited lower fluorescence intensities and smaller fluorescence ratios than their growth-factor-replete counterparts, an effect found to be reversible by readdition of the growth factor. It is concluded that Interleukin-3 deprivation of these cells leads to loss of intracellular K+. It is tentatively suggested that this deprivation-induced K+ loss might be associated with an early event in apoptotic cell death.
CitationRole of interleukin-3 in the regulation of intracellular K+ homeostasis in cultured murine haemopoietic cells. 1995, 214 (2):348-53 Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.
JournalBiochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
- Real-time kinetics of ligand/cell surface receptor interactions in living cells: binding of epidermal growth factor to the epidermal growth factor receptor.
- Authors: Wilkinson JC, Stein RA, Guyer CA, Beechem JM, Staros JV
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 28
- Role of acid/base homeostasis in the suppression of apoptosis in haemopoietic cells by v-Abl protein tyrosine kinase.
- Authors: Chen Q, Benson RS, Whetton AD, Brant SR, Donowitz M, Montrose MH, Dive C, Watson AJ
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Negative regulation by interleukin-3 (IL-3) of mouse early B-cell progenitors and stem cells in culture: transduction of the negative signals by betac and betaIL-3 proteins of IL-3 receptor and absence of negative regulation by granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor.
- Authors: Matsunaga T, Hirayama F, Yonemura Y, Murray R, Ogawa M
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 1
- IL-3 increases surface proteoglycan synthesis in haemopoietic progenitors and their adhesiveness to the heparin-binding domain of fibronectin.
- Authors: Conget P, Minguell JJ
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- Mitochondrial K+ as modulator of Ca(2+)-dependent cytotoxicity in hepatocytes. Novel application of the K(+)-sensitive dye PBFI (K(+)-binding benzofuran isophthalate) to assess free mitochondrial K+ concentrations.
- Authors: Zoeteweij JP, van de Water B, de Bont HJ, Nagelkerke JF
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 15