Role of interleukin-3 in the regulation of intracellular K+ homeostasis in cultured murine haemopoietic cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Physics and Instrumentation, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComparative fluorimetric, flow cytofluorimetric and fluorescence ratiometric determinations of intracellular K+ concentrations in murine haemopoietic cells (FDCP-Mix clone A4) cultured in the presence and absence of the specific growth factor Interleukin-3 were carried out with the fluorescent potassium-binding benzofuran-isophthalate acetoxymethyl ester probe. Cell suspensions kept in the absence of Interleukin-3 for 5 hours exhibited lower fluorescence intensities and smaller fluorescence ratios than their growth-factor-replete counterparts, an effect found to be reversible by readdition of the growth factor. It is concluded that Interleukin-3 deprivation of these cells leads to loss of intracellular K+. It is tentatively suggested that this deprivation-induced K+ loss might be associated with an early event in apoptotic cell death.
CitationRole of interleukin-3 in the regulation of intracellular K+ homeostasis in cultured murine haemopoietic cells. 1995, 214 (2):348-53 Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.
JournalBiochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
- Regulation of intracellular potassium in mesangial cells: a fluorescence analysis using the dye, PBFI.
- Authors: Kasner SE, Ganz MB
- Issue date: 1992 Mar
- Retroviral transfer and expression of human MDR-1 in a murine haemopoietic stem cell line does not alter factor dependence, growth or differentiation characteristics.
- Authors: Heyworth CM, Gagen D, Edington KG, Fairbairn LJ
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- IL-3 increases surface proteoglycan synthesis in haemopoietic progenitors and their adhesiveness to the heparin-binding domain of fibronectin.
- Authors: Conget P, Minguell JJ
- Issue date: 1995 Jan
- Interleukin-3-dependent hematopoietic stem cell lines capable of osteoclast formation in vitro.
- Authors: Hagenaars CE, Kawilarang-de Haas EW, van der Kraan AA, Spooncer E, Dexter TM, Nijweide PJ
- Issue date: 1991 Sep
- Mitochondrial K+ as modulator of Ca(2+)-dependent cytotoxicity in hepatocytes. Novel application of the K(+)-sensitive dye PBFI (K(+)-binding benzofuran isophthalate) to assess free mitochondrial K+ concentrations.
- Authors: Zoeteweij JP, van de Water B, de Bont HJ, Nagelkerke JF
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 15