Cross-resistance studies on two K562 sublines resistant to diaziridinylbenzoquinones.
AffiliationCRC Department of Cell Culture, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo resistant K562 sublines have been developed by treatment with AZQ (2,5-bis(carboethoxyamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone) and BZQ (2,5-bis(2-hydroxyethylamino)-3,6-diaziridinyl-1,4-benzoquinone). The ID50 values of for AZQ on K562, the AZQ-resistant sublines (AZQR) and the BZQ-resistant sublines (BZQR) were 0.063, 1.47 and 0.244 microM, respectively. The relative ID50 values for BZQ on the same cell lines were 0.2, 0.67 and 0.83 microM, respectively. Although it is generally believed that these two quinones function by different mechanisms, the two sublines have similar decreased levels of cytochrome P-450 reductase and DT-diaphorase and increased levels of glutathione and superoxide dismutase, compared to the parent cell line. The sublines are also cross-resistant to adriamycin, mitozolamide, N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG) and mitomycin C. This work indicates the potential multifactorial mechanisms by which drug resistance can be induced in cell lines in the absence of conventional 'P'-glycoprotein multidrug resistance.
CitationCross-resistance studies on two K562 sublines resistant to diaziridinylbenzoquinones. 1995, 50 (4):459-64 Biochem. Pharmacol.
- Comet assay studies on the activation of two diaziridinylbenzoquinones in K562 cells.
- Authors: Ward TH, Butler J, Shahbakhti H, Richards JT
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 25
- In vitro multidrug resistance of P388 murine leukemia selected for resistance to diaziquone.
- Authors: Gutierrez PL, Wilder PJ, Biswal N
- Issue date: 1989
- The lack of correlation between toxicity and free radical formation of two diaziridinyl benzoquinones.
- Authors: Lea JS, Garner HJ, Butler J, Hoey BM, Ward TH
- Issue date: 1988 May 15
- Characterization of L5178Y murine lymphoblasts resistant to quinone antitumor agents.
- Authors: Begleiter A, Leith MK, McClarty G, Beenken S, Goldenberg GJ, Wright JA
- Issue date: 1988 Apr 1
- Relationship between DT-diaphorase-mediated metabolism of a series of aziridinylbenzoquinones and DNA damage and cytotoxicity.
- Authors: Gibson NW, Hartley JA, Butler J, Siegel D, Ross D
- Issue date: 1992 Sep