Naloxone behaves as opioid agonist/antagonist in clonal cultures of mouse bone marrow cells.
AffiliationRuder Bosković Institute, Zagreb, Croatia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe opioid peptide methionine (Met)-enkephalin and the opioid-receptor blocking agent naloxone were added to unseparated or to progenitor-enriched cell suspensions of mouse bone marrow before assay in clonal cultures. Bone marrow samples harvested at 18:00 hours produced more granulocyte-macrophage (GM) colonies than the 06:00 hour samples, and were more sensitive to the proliferation inhibition by both agents. Additive inhibitory effects of naloxone with the enkephalin were occasionally seen. Thus, in this experimental system, naloxone could behave as an opioid agonist. However, there were examples of naloxone diminishing (blocking) the suppressive effect of the enkephalin, as a true opioid antagonist. Significant naloxone/enkephalin interactions occurred in opioid-sensitive (18:00 h) samples of unseparated bone marrow. The interactions were virtually absent in progenitor cell-enriched populations, indicating a significant role of accessory cells in opioidergic regulation of hematopoietic progenitors.
CitationNaloxone behaves as opioid agonist/antagonist in clonal cultures of mouse bone marrow cells. 1995, 49 (1):27-31 Biomed. Pharmacother.
JournalBiomedicine & Pharmacotherapy
- Suppressive effect of met-enkephalin on bone marrow cell proliferation in vitro shows circadian pattern and depends on the presence of adherent accessory cells.
- Authors: Krizanac-Bengez LJ, Breljak D, Boranic M
- Issue date: 1996
- Effect of opioid peptide methionine-enkephalin in long-term cultures of human bone marrow.
- Authors: Janda SS, Boranić M, Skodlar J, Petrovecki M, Nemet D, Labar B
- Issue date: 2000
- Inhibition of hematopoietic progenitor cell growth by Tyr-MIF, an endogenous opiate modulator, and its degradation products.
- Authors: Horowitz D, Callahan JF, Pelus LM, Fukuda S, King AG
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Naloxone interferes with granulocytopoiesis in long-term cultures of mouse bone marrow; buffering by the stromal layer.
- Authors: Krizanac-Bengez L, Boranić M, Testa NG, Kardum I
- Issue date: 1994
- Inhibition of B16-BL6 melanoma growth in mice by methionine-enkephalin.
- Authors: Murgo AJ
- Issue date: 1985 Aug