Pharmacokinetic and therapeutic outcome in melanoma cells, of the administration of symmetric and asymmetric cationic photosensitizers.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital (NHS) Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe response of melanoma cell lines to a range of novel cationic photosensitizers based on either a protoporphyrin or a mesotetra(4-carboxylphenyl)porphine molecule, has been examined. The drugs varied in terms of either their symmetry or their side chain configuration. The effect of these variables on drug uptake and photodynamic cell kill were tested. The absorption wavelengths for the drugs were measured and a shift to the red was seen in the presence of cells. Drug uptake was measured and the cationic sensitizers had a relatively high uptake when compared to anionic HpD. The efficiency of the drugs in causing cell kill was expressed in terms of clonogenic cell survival. The asymmetric photosensitizers were more efficient in destroying mouse and human melanoma cells than the clinically used anionic HpD, which was in turn more efficient than the symmetric sensitizers tested.
CitationPharmacokinetic and therapeutic outcome in melanoma cells, of the administration of symmetric and asymmetric cationic photosensitizers. 1995, 88 (2):191-9 Cancer Lett.
- Novel asymmetric photosensitizers: an in vitro study.
- Authors: Haylett AK, Forbes E, MacLennan A, Truscott TG, Moore JV
- Issue date: 1996 Aug 2
- Efficiency of photodynamic therapy on WM35 melanoma with synthetic porphyrins: Role of chemical structure, intracellular targeting and antioxidant defense.
- Authors: Baldea I, Olteanu DE, Bolfa P, Ion RM, Decea N, Cenariu M, Banciu M, Sesarman AV, Filip AG
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Comparative study of phototoxicity of protoporphyrin IX synthetic and extracted from ssp Rattus novergicus albinus rats toward murine melanoma cells.
- Authors: Reis ER, Ferreira LP, Nicola EMD, Borissevitch I
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Two-Photon Photosensitizer-Polymer Conjugates for Combined Cancer Cell Death Induction and Two-Photon Fluorescence Imaging: Structure/Photodynamic Therapy Efficiency Relationship.
- Authors: Cepraga C, Marotte S, Ben Daoud E, Favier A, Lanoë PH, Monnereau C, Baldeck P, Andraud C, Marvel J, Charreyre MT, Leverrier Y
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 11
- Phenothiazine photosensitizers. III. Activity of methylene blue derivatives against pigmented melanoma cell lines.
- Authors: Rice L, Wainwright M, Phoemix DA
- Issue date: 2000 Feb