Diagnostic issues in a family with late onset type 2 neurofibromatosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Genetics, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report a family with type 2 neurofibromatosis and late onset tumours. Five members of this family have developed hearing loss late in life, two of whom have only been shown to have the diagnosis in their seventies, and three other obligate gene carriers died undiagnosed at 64, 72, and 78 years of age. A missense mutation at the C-terminal end of the NF2 protein has been identified in this family and segregates with disease. The use of highly polymorphic markers for predictive testing is also shown. There appears to be an autosomal dominant form of spinocerebellar degeneration which is segregating separately to NF2 in this family, which created a diagnostic dilemma.
CitationDiagnostic issues in a family with late onset type 2 neurofibromatosis. 1995, 32 (6):470-4 J. Med. Genet.
JournalJournal of Medical Genetics
- Clinical manifestations of mutations in the neurofibromatosis type 2 gene in vestibular schwannomas (acoustic neuromas).
- Authors: Welling DB
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Misleading linkage results in an NF2 presymptomatic test owing to mosaicism.
- Authors: Bijlsma EK, Wallace AJ, Evans DG
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Type of mutation in the neurofibromatosis type 2 gene (NF2) frequently determines severity of disease.
- Authors: Ruttledge MH, Andermann AA, Phelan CM, Claudio JO, Han FY, Chretien N, Rangaratnam S, MacCollin M, Short P, Parry D, Michels V, Riccardi VM, Weksberg R, Kitamura K, Bradburn JM, Hall BD, Propping P, Rouleau GA
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Characterisation of 16 polymorphic markers in the NF2 gene: application to hemizygosity detection.
- Authors: Legoix P, Legrand MF, Ollagnon E, Lenoir G, Thomas G, Zucman-Rossi J
- Issue date: 1999
- A point mutation associated with a severe phenotype of neurofibromatosis 2.
- Authors: MacCollin M, Braverman N, Viskochil D, Ruttledge M, Davis K, Ojemann R, Gusella J, Parry DM
- Issue date: 1996 Sep