AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe structure of rat liver heparan sulfate (HS) has been investigated using a combination of (a) chain scission with specific reagents, (b) disaccharide compositional analysis, and (c) end-referenced sequence analysis of the proximal, protein-linked region of the chain. This study reveals that the liver synthesizes a highly sulfated HS species (1.34 sulfates/disaccharide), particularly high in N-sulfation (60%) and 2-O-sulfate content (36%). Approximately half of the latter is found in trisulfated disaccharides, i.e. IdceA(2-OSO3) alpha 1-4GlcNSO3 (6-OSO3). End-referencing methodology established the existence of an extended, unmodified heparan (GlcUA beta 1-4GlcNAc) sequence, 8-11 disaccharides in length, attached to the linkage tetrasaccharide, similar to that found in a number of other HS species. Directly following this is a mixed HexUA1-4GlcNR(6-OSO3) (where GlcNR represents alpha-D-glucosamine with an unspecified N-substituent)-containing sequence of variable length, culminating in the appearance of the first IdceA(2-OSO3) residue approximately 20 disaccharides from the linkage region, i.e. approximately 40% along the length of the chain. The distal 60% of the polysaccharide is highly sulfated (approximately 2 sulfates/disaccharide) and mainly comprises three heparin-like domains, highly enriched in IdceA(2-OSO3) residues. Overall, liver HS qualifies as an extreme member of the HS family, with a considerable proportion of heparin-like structure asymmetrically concentrated to the distal part of the chain.
CitationLiver heparan sulfate structure. A novel molecular design. 1994, 269 (15):11208-15 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Interaction of hepatocyte growth factor with heparan sulfate. Elucidation of the major heparan sulfate structural determinants.
- Authors: Lyon M, Deakin JA, Mizuno K, Nakamura T, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 15
- Sequence analysis of heparan sulphate indicates defined location of N-sulphated glucosamine and iduronate 2-sulphate residues proximal to the protein-linkage region.
- Authors: Turnbull JE, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1991 Jul 15
- Structural characterization of heparan sulfate and chondroitin sulfate of syndecan-1 purified from normal murine mammary gland epithelial cells. Common phosphorylation of xylose and differential sulfation of galactose in the protein linkage region tetrasaccharide sequence.
- Authors: Ueno M, Yamada S, Zako M, Bernfield M, Sugahara K
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 3
- Identification of the basic fibroblast growth factor binding sequence in fibroblast heparan sulfate.
- Authors: Turnbull JE, Fernig DG, Ke Y, Wilkinson MC, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1992 May 25
- Oligosaccharide sequences of endothelial cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan with affinity for lipoprotein lipase.
- Authors: Parthasarathy N, Goldberg IJ, Sivaram P, Mulloy B, Flory DM, Wagner WD
- Issue date: 1994 Sep 2