Application of angiogenic oligosaccharides of hyaluronan increases blood vessel numbers in rat skin.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathological Sciences, University of Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAngiogenic oligosaccharides of hyaluronan were applied to the backs of young, adult male rats and the number of blood vessels, within a depth of 136 microns beneath the base of the epidermis, were evaluated. Application of hyaluronan oligosaccharides significantly increased the mean number of blood vessels/mm skin length in six of 11 treated rats when compared with controls. Application of radiolabeled hyaluronan oligosaccharides to skin of one rat demonstrated a penetration to a depth of approximately 800 microns, suggesting that the blood vessels beneath the epidermis would be exposed to the hyaluronan. Hyaluronan has previously been shown to stimulate endothelial cell proliferation; we demonstrate here that these hyaluronan oligosaccharides also specifically stimulate endothelial cell migration. This action of hyaluronan oligosaccharides may prove useful in retarding blood vessel paucity and degeneration observed during the ageing process and following radiotherapy.
CitationApplication of angiogenic oligosaccharides of hyaluronan increases blood vessel numbers in rat skin. 1994, 103 (4):576-9 J. Invest. Dermatol.
JournalThe Journal of Investigative Dermatology
- Angiogenesis in a delayed revascularization model is accelerated by angiogenic oligosaccharides of hyaluronan.
- Authors: Lees VC, Fan TP, West DC
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Angiogenic oligosaccharides of hyaluronan enhance the production of collagens by endothelial cells.
- Authors: Rooney P, Wang M, Kumar P, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1993 May
- Early-response gene signalling is induced by angiogenic oligosaccharides of hyaluronan in endothelial cells. Inhibition by non-angiogenic, high-molecular-weight hyaluronan.
- Authors: Deed R, Rooney P, Kumar P, Norton JD, Smith J, Freemont AJ, Kumar S
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 10
- Synergistic effect of hyaluronan oligosaccharides and vascular endothelial growth factor on angiogenesis in vitro.
- Authors: Montesano R, Kumar S, Orci L, Pepper MS
- Issue date: 1996 Aug
- Hyaluronan oligosaccharides induce tube formation of a brain endothelial cell line in vitro.
- Authors: Rahmanian M, Pertoft H, Kanda S, Christofferson R, Claesson-Welsh L, Heldin P
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 25