Weekly VAPEC-B chemotherapy for high grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of treatment in 184 patients.
AuthorsRadford, John A
Whelan, J S
Rohatiner, A Z
Deakin, David P
Stansfeld, A G
Wilkinson, Peter M
James, Roger D
Lister, T A
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PATIENTS: A weekly schedule of chemotherapy (VAPEC-B) has been used to treat 184 consecutive patients with high grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Median age for the group was 57 years (range 17-84) and 56% had stage IV disease. RESULTS: Following chemotherapy, 114 (62%) patients achieved CR or CR(u), 32 (17%) PR and 15 (8%) had not responded or progressed. Response to VAPEC-B was highly stage dependent with 70% or more of patients with stages I-III achieving CR or CR(u) but only 50% of those with stage IV. Twenty-four (15%) patients died during treatment with VAPEC-B and in 13 cases death was due to sepsis. This complication occurred mainly in patients with stage IV disease aged 60 years or older. After a median follow up period of 4.1 years, the actuarial 4 year survival for 184 patients is 45%, an overall result heavily influenced by the poor outcome for 103 patients with stage IV disease (4 year survival of 28%). Patients with earlier stage disease fared correspondingly better (44% for stage III, 68% for stage II and 80% for stage I). CONCLUSIONS: VAPEC-B gives similar results to other chemotherapy regimens currently used in the treatment of high grade NHL and has the advantage of brevity. Caution is advised in patients over the age of 60 especially in the presence of stage IV disease and dose reduction or haemopoietic growth factor support should be considered in these circumstances.
CitationWeekly VAPEC-B chemotherapy for high grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of treatment in 184 patients. 1994, 5 (2):147-51 Ann. Oncol.
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- VAPEC-B chemotherapy in the treatment of aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a retrospective analysis of 45 patients.
- Authors: Singer JM, Mijovic A, Pettingale KW, Nethersell A, Dobbs HJ, Samaratunga IR, Lakhani A, Mufti GJ
- Issue date: 1995
- A doxorubicin-based regimen used in the treatment of elderly patients with high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Wylie JP, Cowan RA, Radford JA, Deakin DP, Harris M, Wilkinson PM
- Issue date: 2000
- Randomised comparison of CHOEP versus alternating hCHOP/IVEP for high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: treatment results and prognostic factor analysis in a multi-centre trial.
- Authors: Köppler H, Pflüger KH, Eschenbach I, Pfab R, Birkmann J, Zeller W, Holle R, Steinhauer UE, Gropp C, Oehl S
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Intensive weekly combination chemotherapy for patients with intermediate-grade and high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Sweetenham JW, Mead GM, Whitehouse JM
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Multicentre combined chemotherapy protocol for large cell advanced non Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Dumont J, Charpy-Validire P, Mosseri V, Gabarre J, Belanger C, Turpin F, Binet JL, Dreyfus F, Fourquet A, Janvier M
- Issue date: 1991 Jul-Oct