AuthorsKirk, J M
Grant, D B
Besser, G M
Shalet, Stephen M
Smith, C S
Bouloux, P M
AffiliationRoyal Free Hospital, London, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnilateral renal agenesis is an uncommon association with Kallmann's syndrome (KS) (hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism and olfactory defect). We have investigated affected individuals from six pedigrees: five with X-linked KS, and one with X-linked KS and X-linked ichthyosis (XLI). Seventeen affected individuals have had renal imaging performed, and six scans demonstrated only one kidney. In addition, two pedigrees had males who died in the neonatal period with bilateral renal agenesis. Only two of the four affected individuals in the family with X-linked KS and X-linked ichthyosis (Pedigree 6) showed unilateral renal agenesis, despite all four patients demonstrating an interstitial deletion within the short arm of the X-chromosome. These data indicate that unilateral renal agenesis is much commoner than previously suspected in patients with X-linked Kallmann's syndrome, but that it may have incomplete penetrance within a family.
CitationUnilateral renal aplasia in X-linked Kallmann's syndrome. 1994, 46 (3):260-2 Clin. Genet.
- Idiopathic gonadotrophin deficiency: genetic questions addressed through phenotypic characterization.
- Authors: Quinton R, Duke VM, Robertson A, Kirk JM, Matfin G, de Zoysa PA, Azcona C, MacColl GS, Jacobs HS, Conway GS, Besser M, Stanhope RG, Bouloux PM
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- X-linked Kallmann syndrome and renal agenesis occurring together and independently in a large Australian family.
- Authors: Colquhoun-Kerr JS, Gu WX, Jameson JL, Withers S, Bode HH
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 5
- An atypical contiguous gene syndrome: molecular studies in a family with X-linked Kallmann's syndrome and X-linked ichthyosis.
- Authors: Maya-Nuñez G, Torres L, Ulloa-Aguirre A, Zenteno JC, Cuevas-Covarrubias S, Saavedra-Ontiveros D, Kofman-Alfaro S, Méndez JP
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Multicystic dysplastic kidney and Kallmann's syndrome: a new association?
- Authors: Deeb A, Robertson A, MacColl G, Bouloux PM, Gibson M, Winyard PJ, Woolf AS, Moghal NE, Cheetham TD
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Deletion analysis maps ocular albinism proximal to the steroid sulphatase locus.
- Authors: Bouloux PM, Kirk J, Munroe P, Duke V, Meindl A, Hilson A, Grant D, Carter N, Betts D, Meitinger T
- Issue date: 1993 Apr