The design and performance characteristics of a multileaf collimator.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics Department, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA multileaf collimator, which has been in routine clinical use for both conventional and conformal radiotherapy for over four years, is described in detail. The collimator replaces the conventional treatment head of a Philips SL series linear accelerator and comprises 80 tungsten leaves and two orthogonal pairs of back-up collimators. Each leaf projects a width of 1 cm in the isocentric plane, allowing shaped photon treatment beams of up to 40 cm square. The performance of the prototype and first production model have been thoroughly tested against the design specifications and the requirements of IEC standards. Radiation attenuation by the collimator components has been measured and substantially exceeds those requirements. The irregular portion of a field (shielded by the leaves only) receives, on average, a dose of less than 2% of the tumour dose. The effect on the penumbra of using leaves which translate linearly and have curved faces has been assessed and found not to degrade the sharpness of the beam fall-off significantly. The reproducibility of the video system used in positioning the leaves has been measured and gave a root mean square deviation of less than 0.3 mm in repeat setting of a 10 cm square field, and an accuracy always within 1 mm. The rationale for clinical use of the device is discussed and its effect on treatment quality control and reliability, is considered.
CitationThe design and performance characteristics of a multileaf collimator. 1994, 39 (2):231-51 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Commissioning of a micro multi-leaf collimator and planning system for stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Authors: Cosgrove VP, Jahn U, Pfaender M, Bauer S, Budach V, Wurm RE
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Use of an amorphous silicon electronic portal imaging device for multileaf collimator quality control and calibration.
- Authors: Baker SJ, Budgell GJ, MacKay RI
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 7
- [Dosimetric characterization of a multileaf collimator].
- Authors: Stasi M, Baiotto B, Palamara F, Gabriele P, Scielzo G
- Issue date: 1999 May
- Dosimetric effects on the penumbra region of irregular multi-leaf collimated fields.
- Authors: Chow JC, Wettlaufer B, Jiang R
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 7
- Dosimetric assessment of the field abutment region in head and neck treatments using a multileaf collimator.
- Authors: Abdel-Hakim K, Nishimura T, Takaih M, Suzuki S, Sakahara H
- Issue date: 2003 May