AffiliationDepartment of Child Health, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To determine the effect of cranial irradiation (18 Gy and 24 Gy) on pubertal growth in young adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). PATIENTS AND METHODS: Final height (FH) and pubertal growth were retrospectively examined in 142 young adult survivors of childhood ALL. All were in first remission and had received either 18 or 24 Gy of cranial irradiation. Eighty-four children (48 girls) were treated with 24 Gy and 58 (35 girls) with 18 Gy. None had received either testicular or spinal irradiation. Timing and duration of puberty were studied in 110 patients. RESULTS: Significant reduction in height standard deviation score (SDS) from diagnosis to FH was seen in both sexes and in both dose groups. In girls, in both dose groups, mean age at peak height velocity (PHV) and mean age at menarche occurred significantly earlier than in the normal population. In boys, there was a normal timing of PHV. The amplitude of PHV was significantly reduced in both sexes and in both dose groups. Parameters of pubertal duration (PHV to menarche, PHV to FH, and menarche to FH) were not significantly different from normal population values. CONCLUSION: In conclusion, puberty occurred early in girls, but not in boys. Amplitude of PHV was reduced in both sexes, with no reduction in the duration of puberty. It is likely that disturbances of both timing and quality of growth during puberty contribute to the loss of standing height and body disproportion seen in these children.
CitationPubertal growth in young adult survivors of childhood leukemia. 1995, 13 (10):2503-7 J. Clin. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Growth and growth hormone secretion after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood. 18-Gy versus 24-Gy cranial irradiation.
- Authors: Stubberfield TG, Byrne GC, Jones TW
- Issue date: 1995 May
- Impaired pubertal growth in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
- Authors: Uruena M, Stanhope R, Chessells JM, Leiper AD
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Disturbed pubertal growth in girls treated for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Moëll C, Garwicz S, Westgren U, Wiebe T
- Issue date: 1987
- Final height and puberty in 40 patients after antileukaemic treatment during childhood.
- Authors: Mohnike K, Dörffel W, Timme J, Kluba U, Aumann V, Vorwerk P, Mittler U
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- [Effect of various therapeutic protocols on growth and final height of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia or non-Hodgkin's lymphoma].
- Authors: Timme J, Mittler U, Mohnike K, Dörffel W
- Issue date: 1995 Sep-Oct