Malformations in children with soft tissue sarcoma and in their parents and siblings.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe presence of malformations in a population-based series of 181 children diagnosed with soft tissue sarcoma and in the majority of their parents and siblings was ascertained from family interviews and medical records. Five index children (2.8%) had serious anomalies, a figure not in excess of that derived from general population data. Fourteen siblings (4%) were affected, and higher rates of malformations were seen in siblings of female case children (P = 0.06) and siblings of children with visceral tumours (P = 0.03). There was no correlation between site of tumour in the index and specific organ system anomalies in the index or in their respective siblings. The survey indicated that there are unlikely to be strong associations between childhood soft tissue sarcoma and major malformations, a situation distinct from that found in Wilms' tumour.
CitationMalformations in children with soft tissue sarcoma and in their parents and siblings. 1994, 8 (4):423-32 Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol
JournalPaediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology
- Geographical and ecological analyses of childhood Wilms' tumours and soft-tissue sarcomas in North West England.
- Authors: McNally RJ, Alston RD, Cairns DP, Eden OB, Kelsey AM, Birch JM
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- Congenital abnormalities in children with cancer and their relatives: results from a case-control study (IRESCC).
- Authors: Mann JR, Dodd HE, Draper GJ, Waterhouse JA, Birch JM, Cartwright RA, Hartley AL, McKinney PA, Stiller CA
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Congenital anomalies in children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia and in their family.
- Authors: Infante-Rivard C, Amre DK
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Cancer incidence and mortality among the parents of a population-based series of 2604 children with cancer.
- Authors: Pang D, McNally R, Kelsey A, Birch JM
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Cancer in the families of children with soft tissue sarcoma.
- Authors: Birch JM, Hartley AL, Blair V, Kelsey AM, Harris M, Teare MD, Jones PH
- Issue date: 1990 Nov 15