AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Victoria Hospital, Blackpool.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA lipid rich rhabdomyosarcoma of the paratesticular region was studied by light microscopy, histochemistry, immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy. The tumour was composed of primitive looking, vacuolated, and pleomorphic cells. Lipid was present in varying amounts in all cells but was especially abundant in the vacuolated and pleomorphic cells. Some cells showed eosinophilic fibrillary cytoplasm but cross-striations were not seen. Tumour cells were positive for desmin, muscle specific actin, and vimentin. A few cells were myoglobin positive. At electron microscopy, the presence of lipid was confirmed, while thick and thin filaments, Z disks, lamina and glycogen were observed, thereby confirming striated muscle differentiation. Although moderate amounts of lipid can be expected in almost any tumour, lipid rich rhabdomyosarcomas have received little attention. The present report provides a comprehensively examined case of such a tumour initially presenting diagnostic difficulty because of its possible confusion with liposarcoma.
CitationLipid rich rhabdomyosarcoma. 1994, 47 (3):280-2 J. Clin. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- [Ultrastructural organization of cell characteristics relevant to diagnosis in rhabdomyosarcomas].
- Authors: Stiller D, Holzhausen HJ
- Issue date: 1988
- Rhabdomyosarcoma in childhood. An immunohistological analysis with myoglobin, desmin and vimentin.
- Authors: Kodet R
- Issue date: 1989 Aug
- Clear cell rhabdomyosarcoma.
- Authors: Boman F, Champigneulle J, Schmitt C, Beurey P, Floquet J, Boccon-Gibod L
- Issue date: 1996 Nov-Dec
- Pleomorphic rhabdomyosarcoma in adults: a clinicopathologic study of 38 cases with emphasis on morphologic variants and recent skeletal muscle-specific markers.
- Authors: Furlong MA, Mentzel T, Fanburg-Smith JC
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Clear cell (glycogen-rich) rhabdomyosarcoma presenting as cervical lymphadenopathy.
- Authors: Govender D, Chetty R
- Issue date: 1999 Jan-Feb