Lipid-rich residual bodies in the human thyroid gland: ultrastructural, histochemical, and morphometric study.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, School of Medicine Keio University, Tokyo, Japan.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEleven samples of surgical and autopsy thyroid tissue were studied by classical histology, histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, light microscope quantitation and transmission electron microscopy in order to characterize lipid-rich residual bodies (LRRBs) previously reported in human myometrium. The following observations were made: 1) LRRBs were found largely in follicular epithelial cells; 2) they had exactly the same histochemical, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural characteristics as LRRBs from myometrium; 3) they had a distinctive distribution and morphology compared with lipofuscin; 4) a lysosomal nature was confirmed by their content of acid phosphatase and cathepsin D; 5) they were virtually absent from both the new-born thyroid and from thyroid carcinoma; 6) there was a statistical linear correlation between LRRB frequency and patient age. In conclusion, LRRBs have been demonstrated in an extra-uterine location, and are confirmed as residual lysosomes, probably having been involved in lipid metabolism.
CitationLipid-rich residual bodies in the human thyroid gland: ultrastructural, histochemical, and morphometric study. 1994, 26 (4):553-63 J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Submicroscopic Cytology and Pathology
- Lipid-rich residual bodies and cathepsin D in the human uterus: ultrastructural and quantitative comparison between normal myometrium and leiomyoma.
- Authors: Yamazaki K, Yakumaru K, Eyden BP
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Age-related accumulation of lysosomes and other cytological features in active thyroid follicles of the CBA mouse.
- Authors: Nève P, Rondeaux P
- Issue date: 1991 Aug
- The significance of paravacuolar granules of the thyroid. A histologic, cytologic and ultrastructural study.
- Authors: Sidawy MK, Costa M
- Issue date: 1989 Nov-Dec
- Black thyroid. Morphological, biochemical and geriatric studies on the brown granules in the thyroid follicular cells.
- Authors: Matsubara F, Mizukami Y, Tanaka Y
- Issue date: 1982 Jan
- A histochemical and ultrastructural study of lipofuscin accumulation in thyroid follicular cells of aging domestic cats.
- Authors: Ives PJ, Haensly WE, Maxwell PA, McArthur NH
- Issue date: 1975 Sep-Dec