Interaction of hepatocyte growth factor with heparan sulfate. Elucidation of the major heparan sulfate structural determinants.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have demonstrated by affinity chromatography that hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) binds strongly to heparan sulfate (HS). This substantiates previous suggestions that cell-surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans constitute the so-called low affinity cellular binding sites for HGF. Using a recombinant human HGF affinity column, we have analyzed the effects of various specific chemical and enzymatic modifications/depolymerizations of HS on its affinity in order to elucidate the polysaccharide structural determinants. Interaction is shown to be only slightly affected by digestion with heparinase I or III or by replacement of N-sulfates with N-acetyl groups. This suggests a specific role for sulfated domains containing nonsulfated IdceA residues, with only a small contribution from N-sulfates and IdceA(2-OSO3) residues. In addition, disaccharide analyses of various HGF-binding oligosaccharides indicate that affinity is more closely associated with 6-O-sulfation of GlcNSO3 residues than with sulfation at any other position. Although interaction can be demonstrated with heparinase III-resistant oligosaccharides as small as hexasaccharides, the highest affinity was found with oligosaccharides containing a minimum of 10-12 monosaccharides. The structural specificity of the HGF-HS interaction is thus shown to be radically different from that previously described for the basic fibroblast growth factor-HS interaction.
CitationInteraction of hepatocyte growth factor with heparan sulfate. Elucidation of the major heparan sulfate structural determinants. 1994, 269 (15):11216-23 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Liver heparan sulfate structure. A novel molecular design.
- Authors: Lyon M, Deakin JA, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 15
- Interaction of thrombospondin-1 and heparan sulfate from endothelial cells. Structural requirements of heparan sulfate.
- Authors: Feitsma K, Hausser H, Robenek H, Kresse H, Vischer P
- Issue date: 2000 Mar 31
- Oligosaccharide sequences of endothelial cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan with affinity for lipoprotein lipase.
- Authors: Parthasarathy N, Goldberg IJ, Sivaram P, Mulloy B, Flory DM, Wagner WD
- Issue date: 1994 Sep 2
- Characterization of heparin and heparan sulfate domains binding to the long splice variant of platelet-derived growth factor A chain.
- Authors: Feyzi E, Lustig F, Fager G, Spillmann D, Lindahl U, Salmivirta M
- Issue date: 1997 Feb 28
- Characterization of heparan sulfate oligosaccharides that bind to hepatocyte growth factor.
- Authors: Ashikari S, Habuchi H, Kimata K
- Issue date: 1995 Dec 8