Irradiation of bovine aortic endothelial cells enhances the synthesis and secretion of sulphated glycosaminoglycans.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Research, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of X-irradiation on the synthesis of heparan sulphate (HS) and chondroitin/dermatan sulphate (CS/DS) by bovine aortic endothelial cells (BAEC), was studied by measuring the incorporation of [35S]sulphate and [3H]glucosamine into newly synthesized glycosaminoglycan (GAG) chains. Medium extracts from irradiated cultures (5Gy) were found to contain approx. 130% more HS and 200% more CS/DS than unirradiated controls. Smaller increases were observed in cellular extracts, irradiated cultures (5Gy) containing approx. 60% more HS and 100% more CS/DS than unirradiated controls. Structural studies showed no significant changes occurred upon irradiation in either the amounts or distribution of N- and O-sulphate groups in the HS molecule. Values for N-sulphation of 41.1% control and 41.5% irradiated (5Gy) were obtained, the corresponding values for O-sulphation being 19.9% control and 20.2% irradiated. Isotope incorporation data indicated that sulphation of CS/DS may decrease after irradiation, however, analysis of chondroitin ABC lyase derived disaccharides showed no changes in the proportion of non-sulphated and O-sulphated disaccharides. The present study indicates that X-irradiation stimulates the synthesis and secretion of HS and CS/DS proteoglycans (PGs) by BAEC. This could be relevant to many features which are found to be indicative of radiation-induced damage.
CitationIrradiation of bovine aortic endothelial cells enhances the synthesis and secretion of sulphated glycosaminoglycans. 1994, 1220 (3):266-76 Biochim. Biophys. Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Cell density-dependent regulation of proteoglycan synthesis by transforming growth factor-beta(1) in cultured bovine aortic endothelial cells.
- Authors: Kaji T, Yamada A, Miyajima S, Yamamoto C, Fujiwara Y, Wight TN, Kinsella MG
- Issue date: 2000 Jan 14
- Proteoglycans and hypertension. II. [35S]sulfate incorporation into aorta proteoglycans of spontaneously hypertensive rats.
- Authors: Reynertson RH, Rodén L
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- Evaluation of the cell specificity and sulfate dependence of glomerular extracellular matrix proteoglycan synthesis.
- Authors: Shen GQ, Kresbach G, Spiro MJ, Spiro RG
- Issue date: 1995 Aug 1
- Structural characterization of heparan sulfate proteoglycan subclasses isolated from bovine aortic endothelial cell cultures.
- Authors: Kinsella MG, Wight TN
- Issue date: 1988 Mar 22
- Sulphation of proteochondroitin and 4-methylumbelliferyl beta-D-xyloside-chondroitin formed by mouse mastocytoma cells cultured in sulphate-deficient medium.
- Authors: Silbert JE, Sugumaran G, Cogburn JN
- Issue date: 1993 Nov 15