Cutaneous epithelioid angiosarcoma: a clinicopathological study of four cases.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Bolton General Hospital, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFour cases of cutaneous epithelioid angiosarcoma are described together with the potential diagnostic trap of mistaking these tumours for poorly differentiated carcinoma or malignant melanoma. The immunophenotypic profile using four endothelial markers showed positive staining in all cases for factor VIII related antigen in a predominantly paranuclear dot-like fashion and for CD31 (JC70); in three cases for CD34 (QB-END/10) and in two cases with UEA-1. All four cases were cytokeratin (CAM 5.2 and AE1/AE3) negative in contrast to the positive staining reported at non-cutaneous sites. Aberrant S-100 protein expression was seen in one case. In two cases subsequent recurrences showed better differentiation than the original tumour. Electronmicroscopy confirmed the absence of non-endothelial lines of differentiation but failed to reveal Weibel-Palade bodies.
CitationCutaneous epithelioid angiosarcoma: a clinicopathological study of four cases. 1994, 25 (5):421-9 Histopathology
- An immunocytochemical assessment of 19 cases of cutaneous angiosarcoma.
- Authors: Orchard GE, Zelger B, Jones EW, Jones RR
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Angiosarcoma involving the gastrointestinal tract: a series of primary and metastatic cases.
- Authors: Allison KH, Yoder BJ, Bronner MP, Goldblum JR, Rubin BP
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Use of immunohistochemical procedures in diagnosing angiosarcoma. Evaluation of 98 cases.
- Authors: Ohsawa M, Naka N, Tomita Y, Kawamori D, Kanno H, Aozasa K
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 15
- Pseudoangiosarcomatous carcinoma: a clinicopathological study of seven cases.
- Authors: Banerjee SS, Eyden BP, Wells S, McWilliam LJ, Harris M
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- Angiosarcoma of soft tissue: a study of 80 cases.
- Authors: Meis-Kindblom JM, Kindblom LG
- Issue date: 1998 Jun