Cutaneous epithelioid angiosarcoma: a clinicopathological study of four cases.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Bolton General Hospital, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFour cases of cutaneous epithelioid angiosarcoma are described together with the potential diagnostic trap of mistaking these tumours for poorly differentiated carcinoma or malignant melanoma. The immunophenotypic profile using four endothelial markers showed positive staining in all cases for factor VIII related antigen in a predominantly paranuclear dot-like fashion and for CD31 (JC70); in three cases for CD34 (QB-END/10) and in two cases with UEA-1. All four cases were cytokeratin (CAM 5.2 and AE1/AE3) negative in contrast to the positive staining reported at non-cutaneous sites. Aberrant S-100 protein expression was seen in one case. In two cases subsequent recurrences showed better differentiation than the original tumour. Electronmicroscopy confirmed the absence of non-endothelial lines of differentiation but failed to reveal Weibel-Palade bodies.
CitationCutaneous epithelioid angiosarcoma: a clinicopathological study of four cases. 1994, 25 (5):421-9 Histopathology
- An immunocytochemical assessment of 19 cases of cutaneous angiosarcoma.
- Authors: Orchard GE, Zelger B, Jones EW, Jones RR
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Pseudoangiosarcomatous carcinoma: a clinicopathological study of seven cases.
- Authors: Banerjee SS, Eyden BP, Wells S, McWilliam LJ, Harris M
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- Macrophage-rich epithelioid angiosarcoma mimicking malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Brightman LA, Demierre MF, Byers HR
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- [Clinicopathologic study of 8 cases of poorly differentiated cutaneous angiosarcoma of scalp].
- Authors: Chen SY, Huang CZ, Qian Y, Wu Y, Tu YT
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Recurrent Cutaneous Angiosarcoma of the Scalp With Aberrant Expression of S100: A Case Report.
- Authors: Macías-García L, Lara-Bohorquez C, Jorquera-Barquero E, Ríos-Martín JJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jun