Comparison of hand injection with mechanical injection for digital subtraction selective cerebral angiography.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Hope Hospital, Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract100 patients undergoing digital subtraction cerebral angiography were randomized to have contrast delivered by either hand or mechanical injection. We compared the two modes of injection for image quality, the presence of vertebral reflux, possible complications and radiation exposure to the radiologist. There was no statistical difference between the two modes of contrast delivery for image quality and vertebral reflux. Only one definite temporary neurological complication was recorded. However, radiation exposure to the radiologist's hand and body were reduced by up to 70% by using a mechanical injector for contrast delivery during selective cerebral angiography with digital subtraction. We advocate use of the mechanical injector by radiologists who perform regular angiography to reduce their exposure to radiation.
CitationComparison of hand injection with mechanical injection for digital subtraction selective cerebral angiography. 1994, 67 (800):786-9 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Step back from the patient: reduction of radiation dose to the operator by the systematic use of an automatic power injector for contrast media in an interventional angiography suite.
- Authors: Larsen AS, Osterås BH
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- Digital subtraction cerebral angiography by intraarterial injection: comparison with conventional angiography.
- Authors: Brant-Zawadzki M, Gould R, Norman D, Newton TH, Lane B
- Issue date: 1983 Feb
- [Comparison of head dual energy computed tomography angiography and neuro digital subtraction angiography].
- Authors: Xu Y, Wen L, Han D, Ma CW
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Rotational digital subtraction carotid angiography: technique and comparison with static digital subtraction angiography.
- Authors: Bosanac Z, Miller RJ, Jain M
- Issue date: 1998 Sep
- Selective angiography of cerebral aneurysm using gadodiamide in polycystic kidney disease with renal insufficiency.
- Authors: Slaba SG, El-Hajj LF, Abboud GA, Gebara VA
- Issue date: 2000 Nov