Comparison of hand injection with mechanical injection for digital subtraction selective cerebral angiography.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Hope Hospital, Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract100 patients undergoing digital subtraction cerebral angiography were randomized to have contrast delivered by either hand or mechanical injection. We compared the two modes of injection for image quality, the presence of vertebral reflux, possible complications and radiation exposure to the radiologist. There was no statistical difference between the two modes of contrast delivery for image quality and vertebral reflux. Only one definite temporary neurological complication was recorded. However, radiation exposure to the radiologist's hand and body were reduced by up to 70% by using a mechanical injector for contrast delivery during selective cerebral angiography with digital subtraction. We advocate use of the mechanical injector by radiologists who perform regular angiography to reduce their exposure to radiation.
CitationComparison of hand injection with mechanical injection for digital subtraction selective cerebral angiography. 1994, 67 (800):786-9 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Step back from the patient: reduction of radiation dose to the operator by the systematic use of an automatic power injector for contrast media in an interventional angiography suite.
- Authors: Larsen AS, Osterås BH
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- Digital subtraction cerebral angiography by intraarterial injection: comparison with conventional angiography.
- Authors: Brant-Zawadzki M, Gould R, Norman D, Newton TH, Lane B
- Issue date: 1983 Feb
- Rotational digital subtraction carotid angiography: technique and comparison with static digital subtraction angiography.
- Authors: Bosanac Z, Miller RJ, Jain M
- Issue date: 1998 Sep
- Radiation dose to patients and personnel during intraoperative digital subtraction angiography.
- Authors: Derdeyn CP, Moran CJ, Eichling JO, Cross DT 3rd
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Radiation exposure to interventional radiologists during manual-injection digital subtraction angiography.
- Authors: Hayashi N, Sakai T, Kitagawa M, Inagaki R, Yamamoto T, Fukushima T, Ishii Y
- Issue date: 1998 May-Jun