Genitourinary tumors in the families of children with renal tumors.
AuthorsHartley, Ann L
Birch, Jillian M
Kelsey, Anna M
Jones, P H
AffiliationCRC Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Christie Hospital Trust, Manchester, England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe occurrence of genitourinary tumors in the relatives of a population-based series of 218 children diagnosed with renal tumors was investigated. Family data on 92% (176 of 192) of Wilms' tumor (WT) patients and 77% (20 of 26) of other renal tumor patients were obtained. In all, 21 genitourinary tumors in first-degree relatives in 19 families were ascertained, together with 30 such tumors in second-degree relatives. Ten families were diagnosed with multiple genitourinary tumors, although none of these manifested familial WT. It is proposed that a small proportion of families of children with renal tumors has a genetic predisposition to develop genitourinary tumors and that these tumors may represent further manifestations of the pleiotropic effects of the WT1 gene or of other genes involved in WT predisposition.
CitationGenitourinary tumors in the families of children with renal tumors. 1994, 72 (1):28-32 Cancer Genet. Cytogenet.
JournalCancer Genetics and Cytogenetics
- Extrarenal Wilms' tumors. A study of their relationship with classical renal Wilms' tumor using expression of WT1 as a molecular marker.
- Authors: Roberts DJ, Haber D, Sklar J, Crum CP
- Issue date: 1993 May
- Pediatric genitourinary tumors.
- Authors: Cowan BE, Shortliffe LM
- Issue date: 1992 Jun
- Leukemia, lymphoma, and related disorders in families of children diagnosed with Wilms' tumor.
- Authors: Hartley AL, Birch JM, Harris M, Blair V, Morris Jones PH, Gattamaneni HR, Kelsey AM
- Issue date: 1994 Oct 15
- Molecular analysis of aniridia patients for deletions involving the Wilms' tumor gene.
- Authors: Drechsler M, Meijers-Heijboer EJ, Schneider S, Schurich B, Grond-Ginsbach C, Tariverdian G, Kantner G, Blankenagel A, Kaps D, Schroeder-Kurth T
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- [Hereditary renal tumors: Wilms' tumor--congenital anomalies' syndrome].
- Authors: Tsuchida Y, Yokomori K, Choi SH
- Issue date: 1995 Nov